New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    pwede sa diesel calibration centers na since diesel ang ride mo.

procedure, max. 2.5 psi at 2500rpm .
    more than 2.5 psi ,possible clogged up cat. converter if equiped.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

Come to think of it... it definitely could be a leaking exhaust manifold gasket... causing low boost in your turbo... which would explain your problems quite nicely without causing a CEL... but you would have been able to hear this when you checked it out... hmmm....

I hope to be able to conclude this issue na... had the unit brought to Mufflerland... they checked and true enough, yung dugtungan ng flexible hose to the exhaust system ay may mga butas na nga... (backyard welding lang ang gumawa and hindi pa naka lift kaya I suppose hirap gawin.. or talagang nabutas na rin after some time.. but that was installed around March of this year lang.. ) anyway, they further inspected the whole exhaust line and they found another crack somewhere sa bend after the muffler mismo... must've been a casualty nung nabangga nga but hindi na nakita.... they took out that segment and repaired the crack (welding)... installed it back to the flange... and to top it all, I purchased an exhaust tip =)... after everything was installed .. i paid the fee and drove out...

1st impressions... mukhang bumalik na yung power on 1st gear under 2500rpm.... hindi pa ako napapa daan sa may incline or tulay or flyover to really observe... but hopefully... should be okay... sa patag parang mas may bite na sya ngayon... and accelerating when overtaking sa quezon ave was better na rin.. will post further observations na lang...

ang pahabol ko lang.. at hindi ko maintindihan (although I see the effect at mukhang naniniwala naman ako na may effect yun) ... ano ang kinalaman ng may tagas na exhaust line sa low power output ng engine? rephrasing, ano ang contribution ng proper and intact exhaust line sa overall power ng isang engine (be it diesel or gas)? napapaisip lang kasi ako... on an intact and proper exhaust line, lalabas pa rin yung exhaust through the muffler and then the tip, hindi naman closed system that a certain pressure should be maintained.... bakit nung nagka butas ay humina ang hatak? ano ang kinalaman nun sa engine power?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The leak will cause an interruption in the flow of the exhaust... even though the air is technically still going out... the flow is no longer laminar... and this causes a chokepoint where the leak is... causing more backpressure... hindering the spool-up of the turbine... thus, less power.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wowiesy View Post
    I hope to be able to conclude this issue na... had the unit brought to Mufflerland... they checked and true enough, yung dugtungan ng flexible hose to the exhaust system ay may mga butas na nga... (backyard welding lang ang gumawa and hindi pa naka lift kaya I suppose hirap gawin.. or talagang nabutas na rin after some time.. but that was installed around March of this year lang.. ) anyway, they further inspected the whole exhaust line and they found another crack somewhere sa bend after the muffler mismo... must've been a casualty nung nabangga nga but hindi na nakita.... they took out that segment and repaired the crack (welding)... installed it back to the flange... and to top it all, I purchased an exhaust tip =)... after everything was installed .. i paid the fee and drove out...

1st impressions... mukhang bumalik na yung power on 1st gear under 2500rpm.... hindi pa ako napapa daan sa may incline or tulay or flyover to really observe... but hopefully... should be okay... sa patag parang mas may bite na sya ngayon... and accelerating when overtaking sa quezon ave was better na rin.. will post further observations na lang...

ang pahabol ko lang.. at hindi ko maintindihan (although I see the effect at mukhang naniniwala naman ako na may effect yun) ... ano ang kinalaman ng may tagas na exhaust line sa low power output ng engine? rephrasing, ano ang contribution ng proper and intact exhaust line sa overall power ng isang engine (be it diesel or gas)? napapaisip lang kasi ako... on an intact and proper exhaust line, lalabas pa rin yung exhaust through the muffler and then the tip, hindi naman closed system that a certain pressure should be maintained.... bakit nung nagka butas ay humina ang hatak? ano ang kinalaman nun sa engine power?
    Makisali lang. I was following your posting doon sa thread ni Dieseldude about your D4D. I too, own an Innova D4D. Although I know the principle behind the effect of an exhaust system, hindi ko maipaliwanag yung observation mo sa kotse after the repairs. Technically, what your trying to explain is that, with those leaks, the backpressure should be less than usual and that should not cause the engine to loose power. Tama ka, the exhaust muffler is there to minimize ("muffle") the engine combustion noise. As it does that job, it provides a restriction on the exhaust gases that lessens the engine power. Based on your result, those leaks provide an opposite reaction to the theory. Maybe Niky is right in her (or his?) explanation but I am not knowledgeable to explain. Those leaks appear to provide more restriction rather than lessening it.?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Niky is definitely a "he"... ask my wife...

Any flow interruption will cause problems... and a leak is a flow interruption... it causes turbulence... slows down the exhaust flow, and makes it difficult for the rest of the exhaust flow to punch through the particulate filter. If you really want unimpeded flow, you just remove the exhaust completely... the engine will gain a lot of power, that way... the turbo will spool up right away... and your Innova will sound like a Jeepney...

...or maybe not... The Focus TDCi racecars have no muffler, just a straight pipe, and they sound quite wicked, and not as loud as you might think... of course, this is illegal for road use...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Niky is definitely a "he"... ask my wife...

Any flow interruption will cause problems... and a leak is a flow interruption... it causes turbulence... slows down the exhaust flow, and makes it difficult for the rest of the exhaust flow to punch through the particulate filter. If you really want unimpeded flow, you just remove the exhaust completely... the engine will gain a lot of power, that way... the turbo will spool up right away... and your Innova will sound like a Jeepney...

...or maybe not... The Focus TDCi racecars have no muffler, just a straight pipe, and they sound quite wicked, and not as loud as you might think... of course, this is illegal for road use...
    Sir Niky, thank you for the confirmation, he..he.. I browse different threads of interest every now and then and I encounter your posts mostly on performance and/or aesthetic related discussions. Sorry if I got the impression that you were a Lady Car Enthusiast.

Anyway, your explanation makes sense. Thanks.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    update lang po...

it's been a few days since napa check ko yung exhaust system and found na may tagas na nga .. napagawa na yung unit and...

there is definitely a big improvement sa power especially sa range ng 2500rpm and below... sa rampa paakyat sa condo hindi na sya masyadong bitin (altho medyo bitin pa rin) but compared to before naayos yung exhaust ay talagang bitin sya... pag akyat ng flyover or bridges (edsa ortigas flyover / meralco j vargas flyover) hindi na sya gaanong hirap.... pag accelerate din sa nlex, ramdam mo na yung power below 2500rpm (not like yung dati na it seemed na power only comes in at about 2000rpm...

i still have a feeling na parang bitin pa rin but i'll take the improvement... it is still an improvement...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Did your system have a flex pipe before the first repair, or was it simply added?

Did Mufflerland replace your flex with another flex?

If the stock system has no flex pipe in it, then you will experience slightly degraded performance due to the addition of the flex pipe... but it's a small sacrifice for the lower vibration and protection from cracked gaskets (due to the lower vibration) that a flex pipe gives you.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by timo07 View Post
    Sir Niky, thank you for the confirmation, he..he.. I browse different threads of interest every now and then and I encounter your posts mostly on performance and/or aesthetic related discussions. Sorry if I got the impression that you were a Lady Car Enthusiast.

Anyway, your explanation makes sense. Thanks.
    OT:
    same with me when I read (first time) the handle "niky" ...
    Good thing I can view the public profile.
    Last edited by KERSMcRae; October 30th, 2009 at 04:53 PM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Did your system have a flex pipe before the first repair, or was it simply added?

Did Mufflerland replace your flex with another flex?

If the stock system has no flex pipe in it, then you will experience slightly degraded performance due to the addition of the flex pipe... but it's a small sacrifice for the lower vibration and protection from cracked gaskets (due to the lower vibration) that a flex pipe gives you.
    The orig wasnt flex type. Sa pagkasabi nga ng mufflerland usually cat converter ang nakalagay dun sa pinaglagyan ng flex pipe which made me feel i was duped nung unang nagkabit ng flex pipe dahil cut lang sya at walang banggit kung ano yung tinanggal. I havent really verified though kng stock diesel innova really comes with a cat converter.

A part of me feels that this sensitivity to the so called low power issue is just that side of me who was looking forward to sell the innova and get an everest =)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Low Power can be caused by "bara" or a leak somewhere in the exhaust line?