New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Good day mga ka-Tsikoteers!

I just thought of starting this thread to discuss about the different experiences of our fellow members here regarding the implementation of Drive By Wire Throttle for new cars. I recently purchased a 2009 Honda City and I was told that the throttle is already controlled by a sensor at the pedal, and an electronic motor that controls the butterfly valve in the throttle body. This has replaced the conventional cable that attaches the throttle body to the accelerator pedal.

The question comes to my mind is that will the DBW last as long as the traditional accelerator cable? I would like to think that the electronic motor on the throttle body acts in the same way as the servo motor in older cars. This may mean that the motor may fail in several years of use.

I would like to gather your thoughts here and start a meaningful discussion and hopefully inform our fellow members of the pros and cons of this new technology.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by airolynx View Post
    Good day mga ka-Tsikoteers!

I just thought of starting this thread to discuss about the different experiences of our fellow members here regarding the implementation of Drive By Wire Throttle for new cars. I recently purchased a 2009 Honda City and I was told that the throttle is already controlled by a sensor at the pedal, and an electronic motor that controls the butterfly valve in the throttle body. This has replaced the conventional cable that attaches the throttle body to the accelerator pedal.

The question comes to my mind is that will the DBW last as long as the traditional accelerator cable? I would like to think that the electronic motor on the throttle body acts in the same way as the servo motor in older cars. This may mean that the motor may fail in several years of use.

I would like to gather your thoughts here and start a meaningful discussion and hopefully inform our fellow members of the pros and cons of this new technology.
    Nice of you to start this interesting thread.

To add info, DBW is not a new technology in Honda. It was already implemented on the 2004 Accord V6 (CM6) and later on 2005 Accord I4 (CM5), 2005 CRV (RD5/ RD7). The 2006 Civics (FD) and 2007 CRVs (RE) have DBW, too. and yes, the Jazz GD3 have it too on other Asian markets.Honda called their DBW technology ETCS (Electronic Throttle Control System). I know of other manufacturers that implemented DBW since 1998, and still no problems with it.

So far, there are no major issues re Honda's ETCS system worldwide from the time they started implementing it. The motor used in the ETCS is more robust and larger compared to the old IACV motor. These motors do not have carbon brushes that wear out in time.

Most car manufacturers nowadays are switching to DBW because it provides precise control for the engine and transmission (both M/T and A/T) to provide better fuel economy. FUEL ECONOMY= BETTER MILEAGE = GOOD FOR ENVIRONMENT.

Like anything that is automotive, anything subjected to constant movement will wear out. It will still develop faults in the future.

A tip so that your ETCS will not fail early, do not clean your throttle body by directly spraying it with carb cleaner or any other throttle cleaner/ solvents. If you directly spray it, the liquid/ foam/mist will seep into the electronics that controls the motor and may cause damage to it. Also, the spray will remove the lubricants inside the ETCS unit that protects the motors and gears from friction and wear.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the insight sir arch_auto.

Glad to know that since 1998 there are models using this technology. So that is already 13 years and counting. I initially thought that if the ETCS is problematic, it may become an issue for car owners who want to keep their rides for more than 10 years.

I did some googling on this topic and found out that the ETCS already contains all idling controls. So the servo motor and cruise controls are already integrated in the ETCS. What I am wondering now is, in case in the future, the ETCS fails, how much would it cost to have it replaced?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by airolynx View Post
    Thanks for the insight sir arch_auto.

Glad to know that since 1998 there are models using this technology. So that is already 13 years and counting. I initially thought that if the ETCS is problematic, it may become an issue for car owners who want to keep their rides for more than 10 years.

I did some googling on this topic and found out that the ETCS already contains all idling controls. So the servo motor and cruise controls are already integrated in the ETCS. What I am wondering now is, in case in the future, the ETCS fails, how much would it cost to have it replaced?
    I am not sure about the exact pricing, but it will be in the range of PHP20k-25k app.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    probably more than 25k. complete throttle bodies an hindi pa dbw are already in that price range now.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    probably more than 25k. complete throttle bodies an hindi pa dbw are already in that price range now.
    * spedyfix, do you own the shop with the same name as your nickname? How often do cars have DBW repaired/replaced? How old are the cars that have throttle bodies repaired?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    yes i do. no need naman to replace it if there are no problems. there's no preset time before replacement... only pag may nasira.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Follow up question lang po:

Kung sa daan inabot ng sira ang ETCS, posible pa po ba na mapatakbo ang auto hangang sa casa or repair shop? Unlike kung cable, pag naputol pwede idugtong or taasan ang menor. TIA.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by benoy View Post
    Follow up question lang po:

Kung sa daan inabot ng sira ang ETCS, posible pa po ba na mapatakbo ang auto hangang sa casa or repair shop? Unlike kung cable, pag naputol pwede idugtong or taasan ang menor. TIA.
    If it's stuck at idle or high-idle, you can limp your way home. Otherwise, your only choice is to have it towed.

But you'll be glad to know that this almost never happens. At least, I've yet to hear of such occurrence happening to anyone.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    it won't happen too often but you did have those occurences in the US with toyota... or at least that's what the goverment is saying with the unintended acceleration and all. di naman daw affected local units but you never know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Longevity and Reliability of Drive By Wire Throttles