New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Sorry Guys.. I couldn't find a tread to post my question so I created a new one...

I acquired 2 vehicles at the first quarter of the year both with mitsubishi intercooler turbo diesel engines. Both top mounted. It is only now that I remember than when I turn on the ignition switch to ON.. prior to starting the vehicle... I can hear the turbo fan running already....

Both vehicles underwent some minor electrical issues which were easily resolved... but I dont hear the fan running anymore after turning on the switch. The turbo works fine.. special on my RVR... it kicks in at around 2.5K RPM.. and you can feel the kick and the ensuing jet like whine of the engine.....

It just occurred to me that is it possible the fan doesn't work ... doesn't force the cold air in...? Just asking guys if this is normal or should I have the turbo fan checked?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Snake, the intercooler fan is usually temperature activated. After reaching normal operating temperature, turn off the engine and then turn the ignition to ON. If you do not hear the fan then have it checked. The fan is to help cool the intercooler and not to force the air in; that's the job of the turbo.
    Last edited by Monty; November 3rd, 2014 at 07:41 AM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Snake, the intercooler fan is usually temperature activated. After reaching normal operating temperature, turn off the engine and then turn the ignition to ON. If you do not hear the fan then have it checked. The fan is to help cool the intercooler and not to force the air in; that's the job of the turbo.
    Thanks for that Monty.... and forgive my ignorance

This is not happening so I guess I will need that to be checked... this may be the reason why the engine was shutting down/ refusing to shift during my Baguio run last August....

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake1 View Post
    Thanks for that Monty.... and forgive my ignorance

This is not happening so I guess I will need that to be checked... this may be the reason why the engine was shutting down/ refusing to shift during my Baguio run last August....
    Apologies are not necessary. We are all here to learn and share.

The engine shutting down/refusing to shift is probably not related to the intercooler fan not functioning. BTW, the intercooler fan should be located under the intercooler.

Do you have a 4d56 engine? It could be due to a number of things. Have it checked by a mechanic. It could also be the kick-down cable. Here's something to start your research.

http://tsikot.com/forums/mitsubishi-...ustment-55036/