New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I've been reading some automotive forums reagrding this and there are a lot of differences regarding their inputs. I have a couple of questions regarding this and I'm hoping to clear it out.

1. Intake - Do you have to change the whole IM or just add a good air filter?

- I've read some bang-for-a-buck brands to K&N filters. Some of them say the differences are a little bit similar if you go from cheapos to expensive stuff. Also, I've read some things regarding the replacement of the whole intake.

2. Headers - The usual 4-1 vs 4-2-1

- I've seen Mandrel Bent, crush bent and all sorts of stuff. I just can't find a "definitive" description of differences between all of them.

3. Exhaust - Well, mufflers, pipings etc.

- Chambered, Freeflow 2.5" to 3" pipes and the works. So which should you choose? Do you still have to upgrade the full exhaust system or just upgrade pipes and get a good muffler?

These are the questions that I'm trying to answer myself but since I'm still in the noobie stage, I really can't figure it out.

I hope someone could put this in layman's terms so I can understand more.

TIA

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    let me give this a shot sir.

1. KNN is a good upgrade and its proven to have some HP gain as compared to other brands except Apex-i. i dont know much abt upgrading the whole intake system. except that you can use tubes with cone filters in place of the stock. cone filters with tube can improve the air intake but its noisier than the stock config. as for me, i intend to get KNN drop in for the stock config because the placement of a tube for my lancer itlog will result in it sucking hot air anyway. i think this will defeat the purpose. but if lancer guys will tell me thats ok, then i might switch to the tube.

2. 4-2-1 for daily driving, more kick at the higher revs. 4-1 for drag for more kick at the low revs. crush bent means the bending will result at a loss of thickness (?) at the long side of the curves kasi bending lang talaga sya. mandrell bent is better because it will not result in any loss of thickness or diameter at the long side of the curves.

3. chambered will give you a nice deep tone at idle and a good bass sound at rev. but its restricting daw. a freeflow will be less restrictive but a little noisier. but i think i read somewhere that there are freeflows that are quieter. a full upgrade of the exhaust is a necessity is you are serious abt upgrading IHE. but as for the size of the pipes, im still clueless abt this because im just going for the muffler. the size will depend on your car. ive read somewhere that for 1.6L cars, a 2" is good enough. 2.5" for higher displacements and so on.

guys, feel free to correct me on these things and i will stand (or sit) corrected.
    Last edited by morrissey_05; April 19th, 2008 at 01:28 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    1. I've heard that K&N filters can ruin MAF sensors, so be careful when installing them. The oil used to clean the filters is said to be the culprit. Some enthusiasts like my father changed the intake manifold and throttle body to a much larger diameter one, to increase the amount of air taken in. He also used a much thicker gasket, something along the lines of giving the air intake plenums a longer travel so the torque increases too. Of course, using the stock throttle body will restrict flow so a much larger one, similar in size to the larger intake manifold, must be used so the amount of turbulence is minimized. You can always reroute the air to get colder outside air, as what my father did. He routed the air into the lower air dams, cut the fake side vents on the front SiR bumpers and installed the cone type filter there, out of sight to the common eye. However when it rains just be very careful not to get water there! If you want to retain the stock look and do without the fuss of rerouting, Morrissey's advice on using drop in K&N filters on the stock piping works too. It doesn't give a throatier sound, but that's the concept - sleeper ang dating.

2. The same principle is used for the exhaust manifold. Mandrell bends give the tubes a more consistent flow of air, thus minimizing the exhaust gas velocities. This allows the exhaust gases to exit faster than typical crush bent ones.

3. I think the same thing was said to my father about the size of the exhaust piping being 2" rather than a larger 2.5" but in the end it's best you hear and experience it for yourself. Your problem here is you need to find somebody who's willing to help you out on that

I too would stand and/or sit corrected if needed be this is just what I've learned from watching and observing my father modify his Civic.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Thanks all. I think I would still need to get some more info and moolah to burn.

Well, I think I'm just going to get a cheapo air filter that will get the job done. Simota or something proven that will do the job at a cheaper cost. I've seen K&N filters and they are not cheap. Any other brand that you would suggest?

Headers wise, I think I'll go for Mandrel Bent. Saan kaya maganda?

Exhaust? I think I'll just go with the Chambered ones. I ain't going racing anyway. Just looking for the exhaust note. Also, the Mrs. will kill me if I have the noisy exhaust note.

Hope niky would read this since he has a lot fo things to say about it.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    jc,

search mo sa forums maraming good muffler shops like cpm and mufflerland. ung mufflerland naka 20 percent off sila sa mega car show. almost tempted to get the chambered muff i wanted.

mbiege,
    i was going for KNN drop-in pa naman. still thinking of going for the tube with simota, but my mechanic would be disappointed hehehe he recommended drop in.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Morrissey, if you like it to look stock while have the performance gains of the K&N filter, go for it

Personally that's what I'd do, but considering my car isn't tuned to extract as much power as I can get out of it, stock air filters do. Like I said just be careful of the MAF sensor especially on the newer cars. I think the advantages of using the old airbox is to get as much air volume as possible, and make sure the filtration area of the air filters are more than or equal to the ones they're replacing. I think that's the rule of thumb but I only heard that very few times so I'm not sure if that rings true to all or most cars. I'm sure the stock airbox will suffice but I'm worried about the small diameter of the stock tubing that might possibly restrict airflow, in your case at least.

I posted a thread a long time ago about the benefits of using K&N compared to other filters. I don't recall what thread I posted it in but I think it has to do with diesel engine aspiration.
    Last edited by mbeige; April 20th, 2008 at 02:00 PM.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    mbiege,

thanks for the advice. im definitely sticking with the drop in/stock config for intake.

im sure if i switched to a tube setup, my mechanic would never let me hear the end of it. hahaha and i trust him completely because good mechanics are hard to find these days.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I installed a K&N drop in in my K20Z3 without tuning and all I got was a more intimidating throaty growl but lost more precious torque. It seems the stock airbox design will suffice with just a K&N drop in even with more aggressive camshafts installed. I settled with the stock filter until I get my cams from Santa.

Check out Ex Manila for complete exhaust systems. I heard they supply Orange Performance.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    si 06,

so did the KNN drop-in help? sabi mo kasi stock airbox will suffice with KNN drop in. but you also said you settled with stock filter.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    pero how about if standard simota intake? (filter and Arm?) would that still be ok?

san ba merong Dealer ng K&N? paPost naman ng Contact Nos.
    Last edited by mackkcam; April 21st, 2008 at 03:11 PM.

Intake / Headers / Exhaust upgrade.