New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    good day to all tsikoteers..can you help me guys..im having a problem with my 4g13 carb engine..i noticed less power and rough idle..any body can teach me how to properly adjust ignition (distributor) to get the smooth more power engine because one time i checked maluwag yung bolt ng distributor i tried to put it back but cant find the right timing..
    (/) 4g13 engine less than 30k
    (/) newly change oil..fully synthetic
    (/) new spark plugs..bosch iridium
    (/) stock high tension wire just got from banawe..sariwa en no cracks
    (/) carb..no problem kicking like horse

thanks in advance!!! please give me some additional tips on engine improvement...want to learn more about engine.(do it your self)

more power tsikot!!!

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    You'll need a timing light.

If you advance the timing too much in the base adjustment you'll be lighting the fuel when the fuel mixture is not compressed and you'll running out of spark at the higher rpms.

If you retard the initial adjustment you'll be firing the fuel mixture after the top dead center as the piston is on its way down.

Both overly advanced and overly retarted timing will cause a loss of power, incomplete combustion, higher emissions and poor fuel economy.

In short, don't monkey with the timing, bring it to the garage.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    You'll need a timing light.

If you advance the timing too much in the base adjustment you'll be lighting the fuel when the fuel mixture is not compressed and you'll running out of spark at the higher rpms.

If you retard the initial adjustment you'll be firing the fuel mixture after the top dead center as the piston is on its way down.

Both overly advanced and overly retarted timing will cause a loss of power, incomplete combustion, higher emissions and poor fuel economy.

In short, don't monkey with the timing, bring it to the garage.

thanks V6dreamer....im too buzy with my work i wonder...can we do it mannualy like our mechanic do when timing light is still not available??

im gonna bring my car to service center asap... thanks again!!!

4. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    tough without a timing light! pero ganito... start the car, turn distributor all the way down (mapalag-rough idling) then turn it up slowly til you hear/see the engine idle SMOOTHER-mark it. Continue turning up til you hear/see the engine idle HIGHER-mark. Bring it back down midway between the marks (bet. SMOOTHER and HIGHER). THIS IS NOT IDEAL. but it is a good reference point. test run the car. advance or retard accdg til you get the response you want.
    ALSO, try to stay away from... well, nevermind. Just please buy NipponDenso spark plugs. unless your engine is modified, factory spec plugs are the best-though they may not be made out of some exotic material or of an advanced design.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    if you're using 95+ octane, set timing to 6-8 deg BTDC.

ignition timing??