New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    hi,

1. Can someone please instruct me on how to adjust my idle mixture on a 2e carb corolla lovelife?

2. What are the settings for economy but still get enough power for overtaking in highways?

3. Is idle mixture related to air/fuel ratio? if so, how do i adjust the settings?

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear Sir:

Let me first make this point perfectly clear:

The IDLE mixture Adjustment screw on your carb ONLY controls the mixture (aka 'air/fuel ratio') during CURB IDLE.

That is, when the car is Sitting Still with the engine ON, - it does NOT control the mixture during any other phase of engine operation.

To wit - it does NOT control progression or transition, rapid acceleration, the low-end, the mid-range or the top-end.

Those operational ranges are controlled by your jets, idle, accelerator pump, primary and secondary, as well as power.

To adjust those mixtures, you have to dismantle and re-jet your carb.

You have to know how to take it apart, overhaul and re-jet it, and put it back together properly.

Now if you have NEVER done this, the skills involved CANNOT be taught by a few posts or e-mails.

Furthermore re-jetting and power or economy tuning is an ITERATIVE process - you do it AGAIN and AGAIN until it is RIGHT.

To judge whether a jet is the correct one or not, requires much tuning skill and a trained ear for engines, which I suspect you may not have - or you would not be asking these questions.

If you tune for power, you lose some economy, if you tune for economy, you lose some power - that's life and engineering - always a compromise, you CANNOT get everything, its one or the other.

To set the correct CURB IDLE mixture go to this thread -

"Idle adjust screw"

here's the link http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70747

Sincerely,

Dusky Lim

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    thanks Mr. Dusky

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jehodl View Post
    hi,

1. Can someone please instruct me on how to adjust my idle mixture on a 2e carb corolla lovelife?

2. What are the settings for economy but still get enough power for overtaking in highways?

3. Is idle mixture related to air/fuel ratio? if so, how do i adjust the settings?

Thanks
    Hi jehodl,
    Let me answer your questions:

1. In a carburator, there are two (2) adjusting screws. First is the IDLE SPEED SCREW, and the second is the IDLE MIXTURE SCREW. The IDLE SPEED SCREW is found near the accelerator cable. It controls the intake of air. The IDLE MIXTURE SCREW is found on the base of the carb. This screw has a spring wrapped around it. It controls the fuel intake, whether you want it rich or lean mixture. To adjust the IDLE MIXTURE is turn the screw clockwise until it stops. Then, turn counter-clockwise minimum of 2 turns, max of 3 turns. Start with 2 turns counter-clockwise. If engine hesitates, make it 2 1/2 turns, then adjust the IDLE SPEED SCREW to attain the 800rpm standard by turning clockwise or counter-clockwise.

2. Settings for economy but not sacrificing power. Your 2E engine should be timed 8 degrees before top dead center (if you are using unleaded fuel 93+ octane). 10 degrees before top dead center (if you are using premium fuel 95 octane). 11 or 12 degrees btdc (if you are using 97 octane fuel). Having the correct timing for your engine will really reduce fuel consumption but will attain power of a 1300cc engine. (irregardless if your valve clearance is correct).

3. The idle mixture is related to the air/fuel ratio. Answer is in #1.

Hope this helps.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    ^^ thanks mcguyver! :D

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    pahirit lng po.malakas sa gas ang 2e ko. changed my jet to 96 primary 125 secondary.tama po kaya?napansin ko
    lng medyo pigil or mahirap mag accelerate agad compared to previous jets.still oberrving for the consumption...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Oikim View Post
    pahirit lng po.malakas sa gas ang 2e ko. changed my jet to 96 primary 125 secondary.tama po kaya?napansin ko
    lng medyo pigil or mahirap mag accelerate agad compared to previous jets.still oberrving for the consumption...
    normal lang yan pag sakal ang jets. its either power or economy. if you choose economy, forget power.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    so you cant have in both?problema ko parang di ko naattain ang eco and power.done tune up,new sparkplugs,vac advancer,change oil,nitro gas air at 30psi.nu pa ba na miss ko?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    by the way, what is your current FC? what FC efficiency are you looking for? if your looking at 15km/l, it is just impossible. just be rational.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    kung pwede sana fc na 10-11kms.by the way,im a former user of vti 96.dun kaya ang 10-11.medyo nanghihinayang nga ako nung nabenta ang vti.i thought kc mas makakatipid ako sa corolla.why some corolla users claim 12-14kms per liter?is this true?whats d perfect formula?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
idle mixture adjustment for 2e corolla lovelife