New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    forgive me for starting this thread, i can't find other threads about this kasi specifically. thank you for merging the air filter thread pala.

can this upgrade SIGNIFICANTLY increase fuel economy?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    no...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    but it can't decrease fuel economy right?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    significantly increase? no.

decrease? maybe. lots of causes... filter isn't shielded from the radiator / engine... piping is too large for the engine... etc...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    There is anecdotal evidence and some testing that says that K&N filters will increase fuel economy, but the difference, if any, is very small. Aftermarket air filters won't usually affect fuel efficiency unless, as stated by mazdamazda the filter gets too much hot air.

As for the exhaust work done, the answer is "it depends", some vehicles have woefully inadequate stock exhaust systems that not only restrict power, but decrease engine efficiency... but newer engines have more efficient piping. On older engines, a mild pipe upgrade can only help, while having too big a pipe on any engine will degrade low-rpm performance (in most cases, there are some exceptions) and will negatively affect fuel consumption. On newer engines, exhaust work will help power, but will usually be bad for consumption, unless you get it done just right.

One major factor is that you're shifting your "useable" power band (the rpms where the engine feels like it's "kicking in") higher with most exhaust mods, thus you use more revs and therefore more gas.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    para sa akin, hindi... pareho pa rin ang consumption.. increase hp lang ang magagawa nyan.. pero ang difference is, kapag hinataw mo with mod biglang baba gas mo hindi tulad sa stock, hindi gaano baba. pero kung normal driving ka lang, pareho lang yan...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    fuel consumption increased for me...puro hataw kasi to hear the sound of the muffler :bwahaha:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    same experience ako sa pinost ni m54

theoretically when putting in I/H/E mods, you increase the airflow... with more air comming in, more gas will be consumed. And like what niky said, it should be done right or it might even degrade the performance of your car. Plus fuel consumption is the last thing on your mind when doing performance mods

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    malamang bababa fuel economy mo kasi ihahataw mo na sya lagi. hehe. performance upgrade yan e. increase in power, in most cases, is synonymous to increase in fuel consumption. unless kstc ang i-install mo. hehehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
i/h/e and fuel economy