New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Hi All!

Meron bang formula to calculate how much hp you need? Indulge me for a moment kc all the brochures/specs tell you about hp and torque, but how does it translate in the real world?

Given:

1. Number of passengers;
    2. Average weight of passengers;
    3. Steepness of road( 45 degrees, 60 degrees);
    4. etc.

maeestimate mo ba kung gaano kalakas na auto ang bagay sa yo?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm pretty fine with 99.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Otep, i think were up to 110+ :D Washers remember? :D

OT:: Sabi ng C! 114hp daw 4D46TDIC!!! Yehey! Instant hp increase!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I guess your question needs to be more specific. What are you trying to achieve? Hp and torque will come into play when you talk about acceleration and engine responsiveness. If your only talking about climbing a hill even with 4 passengers, this can be achieved with very little horsepower and very low gearing.

A 12 hp motor if geared right can carry even more than that. It's just not going to be fast. Conversely, a 200 hp motor wont climb a steep hill from a standing start if it's gearing is way too tall. You have to tell us what your criteria is and then a suitable answer can be made.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hmmm...napansin ko lang kc na hirap ung ol' reliable 1.3L AE92 nung paakyat ng undergnd parking sa megamall...3 lang kami sa car(i guess arnd 480lbs in all), with the aircon at medium, naka segunda....parang hirap lang sobra eh. Nakaka akyat naman, pero di convincing

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    1st gear lang naman dapat ang gamit when climbing. makikita mo rin naman in most multilevel parking a sign that says "STAY ON 1ST GEAR"
    Signature

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my real answer: too much hp is just right!! :D

the more applicable answer: in most philippine driving, i would think the modern 1.6L engines are more than enough. for climbing and the general feeling of having power/acceleration, you should be looking at the engine's torque curve - torque peak, at what rpm does it achieve peak, etc.

some engines (like the honda vtec) make all their power at high revs...that is fine but to some people it feels 'hirap'. others (like the american cars) make more power down low....generally speaking, bigger displacement engines have more of the pulling power or 'arangkada' you seem to be looking for...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    gearing has a huge effect on the performance of the vehicle, not just hp and torque.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you ask me... I think at least 200HP would be fine. :D

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Hi All,

So primera pala ung norm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How much horsepower do you need?