New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Mga gurus, ano po madalas na engine break-in procedure na ginagawa niyo sa newly rebuild engine (Palit bearings, pistong ring & main bearing) ? i read lots of info about engine break-in pero nalilito ako dahil medyo marami at iba-iba ang procedure na ginagawa nila.

so far ito yun common thing na ginagawa nila:
    - Use ordinary engine oil during the break in
    - tune-up before break in
    - Break in for at least 500miles (800km ?).
    - RPM should not exceed about 3500.
    - Try not to use aircon during break in.
    - Keep under 55mph (88kph tama ba ito?) for the first 500miles
    - Don't accelerate overyly hard
    - Drive on slow-speed trips as well as moderate-speed trips

After first 500miles, Chang-oil, oil filter, tune-up and adjust valve clearance. Then follow the PMS.

Is thing procedure good enough to break in my newly rebuild engine? TNX

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseflights View Post
    Mga gurus, ano po madalas na engine break-in procedure na ginagawa niyo sa newly rebuild engine (Palit bearings, pistong ring & main bearing) ? i read lots of info about engine break-in pero nalilito ako dahil medyo marami at iba-iba ang procedure na ginagawa nila.

After first 500miles, Chang-oil, oil filter, tune-up and adjust valve clearance. Then follow the PMS.

As far as I know, it is more or less the same thing as breaking in new cars. Dealers normally advise the buyers to be gentle with the accelerator, ie, no harsh acceleration (arangkada). The reason being, the different gaskets/materials in the engine need to be embedded(snug fit) to their respective counterparts with the corresponding correct exposure with the elements, ie, engine oil, heat, friction/grinding between moving parts. As with everything else, hinay-hinay muna sa umpisa. I don't think there is any need to divert away from the normal service intervals procedure. If you still have the original handbook/manual from when you first bought the car, follow the service interval procedure and I am pretty sure you will have a many years of trouble-free motoring. I know of someone, he owns a Honda Civic 1993. This could easily be any other car. He maintains the car from new. After the warranty expired, the main thing that he did was to make sure the engine oil and filter were changed every 6 months, spark plugs and coolant every year and air filter every two years. Again, his service schedule was dependent on his way of driving -- more frequent oil changes if he does more mileage (he does on average approx 15000 miles/year or 24000 km/year)or drives more in environments which are dusty, etc. This could easily apply to any make of cars. He still believes as far as reliability of cars are concerned, all car makes/brands are relatively the same. It all boils down to maintaining the car that brings joy to years of trouble-free motoring.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007

so far so good, you almost answered your question!

also, what you can do (or add into those procedures) is:

-let the engine prime first: basically just crank the engine for a good 10 seconds. disconnect the Ignition coil (or the coil wire.. or the Distributor connectors). this will help prime up the engine with good oil pressure.. lubricating all of the valvetrain and bottom end components before initial start-up.

-then start the engine: hold the idle at 2K rpms for a good 10-15 mins (and make sure that theres no oil or fuel leaks!!). then let the engine warm up (idle for another 15 mins).

-then do a test drive: when you do the first test drive, do not shift above 3K rpms. just drive it normally. and if you are at 30 mph (at 3rd gear), try to step on the gas (at full throttle) up to 50 mph.. then decelarate. let it cruise at 30 mph, then do another full throttle run until 50 mph (also at 3rd gear).. and why? well, this procedure will help the piston rings seal faster.

-after the initial test drive: let the car idle at 2K rpms for a good 10 mins, then let it idle by itself (around 800 to 1000 rpms) for a good 10, then shut it off and let it cool down.

-check all fluids: make sure that the oil is at the right level.. it might smell like it has some fuel mixed into it (mangangamoy gasolina..) but thats normal. it will do that in the next 50-100 miles of driving, until the piston ring seals up.

also, youll need to change the oil & oil filter after the first test drive. then the next test drive (break in) should be at least 500 miles of regular driving.

then after the first 500 miles, change the oil & filter again and do another break in for another 500 miles.

so after the 1000 miles of break-in is complete, you can now drive your car LIKE YOU STOLE IT!! hehehe.

note: only use Dino (regular) oil. then go Synthetic after the first 1000 miles. (well, thats if you want to go synthetic.. pero pag stock D15B lang naman eh, why bother?? just use high quality non synthetic engine oil and filter, and just change it every 3000 miles... thats how we do it here in the US anywayz.. specially on STOCK engines.)

aite, peace.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Sir, tnx for the great info. Keep it coming guys.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    first thing first. as advised by old and wise mechanics, paandarin mo ang sasakyan ng buong araw. mga 8 hours, menor lang talaga. dont rev up. check for leaking and any abnormal engine noise. you drive your car the following day, keeping in mind that you should not go beyond 60kph. pag naka 500kms kana, pwede mo na ubusin ang lakas ng car mo. enjoy its power!!!!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Sir, tnx for the great info. Keep it coming guys.
    no problem bro. also, agree din ako kay Snowbound. but I just wanna point out that ok lang din i rev ang makina, as long hindi lalagpas ng 3K rpms (specially in a long period of time).

the reason na kailangan din i rev (at i drive ang kotse) is that you want to have a steady flow of oil pressure inside the engine. kasi pag naka Idle lang, the oil pressure is only at 10-15 psi (depende din sa klase ng makina and Oil Pump). but when the engine is operating at around 2, 2.5 or 3K rpms, may constant oil pressure of 30-40 psi (sometimes up to 60-80 psi on some engines.. specially w/ modified (or aftermarket) Oil Pumps).

you need to have a steady flow of Oil Pressure so that the engine internals are fully lubricated during the Break-In Period.

also, avoid long periods of Idling. its not good for modern engines (specially for ALL ALUMINUM type engines). your owners manual should indicate that as well.

aite, peace.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Correct avoid too long idle. The piston ring should seat/push against the walls and this is only possible if the engines runs with load. Drive it enough to create friction but not too much rpm at prolong periods because glazing will happen before the rings seat properly. Then your break-in has failed and honing the walls is the only remedy.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    vary the load... pwede naman ibaon yung gas pero don't take it all the way to redline.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I also read that you should accelerate and decelerate quickly, something about creating a vacuum to help the rings seat better. is this true?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    ask ko lang sir. anong mileage na ng kotse mo at rebuild na agad?

actually, tama lahat ng sinabi sa taas na post.

just go easy on the accelerator pedal for the 1st thousand kilometers, change oil right after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How to break in my newly rebuild honda civic (D15B) engine? Pls help