New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    any shops doing that? and could you make one?

saw in world rally video kasi, they use camera like a medical equipment to check the engine but I didn't saw where they put it. all I remember is it's not 100% guaranteed because many areas cannot be reached.

but is the data even just barely enough for common problems like piston rings etc?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    installing such is just a matter of money. But is it practical for you to have one in your car?.. Can you even diagnose an engine problem just by poking your nose under the hood (or through the video display monitor)?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    any shops doing that? and could you make one?

saw in world rally video kasi, they use camera like a medical equipment to check the engine but I didn't saw where they put it. all I remember is it's not 100% guaranteed because many areas cannot be reached.

but is the data even just barely enough for common problems like piston rings etc?
    ginamit yata duon e, endoscope , a specialized diagnostic tool initially used in medicine( patterned after an endoscope which is used to examine a patient's gastro ,urinary tract without doing open surgery ), so ngayon they adpoted such a tool to examine the innards of an engine without it being taken apart.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    di naman nyan kaya tignan ang piston rings kasi nakatago yun sa piston ring grooves. ang pwede lang makita e yung top ng pistons, cylinder saka valves and valve seats. merong cheap (fiber optic), merong mahal (camera with led light source). i've used both working on big engines. inaalis yung injector or spark plug tapos dun pinapadaan yung endoscope.

eto example nung endoscope camera >> http://www.1800endoscope.com/borescopes.htm

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    di naman nyan kaya tignan ang piston rings kasi nakatago yun sa piston ring grooves. ang pwede lang makita e yung top ng pistons, cylinder saka valves and valve seats. merong cheap (fiber optic), merong mahal (camera with led light source). i've used both working on big engines. inaalis yung injector or spark plug tapos dun pinapadaan yung endoscope.

eto example nung endoscope camera >> http://www.1800endoscope.com/borescopes.htm
    ah ok, sa injector or spark plug pala yan nilalagay. what data and conclusion of condition could you get from using it? valves, cylinder, ano pa po?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    you can see the amount of carbon buildup, damage (chipping, detonation marks, etc) inside the engine. it's a pretty valuable tool all in all.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I see, thanks.

makes me want to make one.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    additional tool lang naman ito, what you can't see with this , may ibang test equipment ( like the vacuuma gauge, compression tester ) to test the engine.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    yeah pretty expensive nga. got one of those in the US last year. di mo lang masusulit unless you have a shop...

Hook up VidCam in your engine