New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Hi Guys,

Ung Honda Jazz ng brother ko may nabasag sa portion ng block, ayaw na umandar.

Ano kaya nangyari? Bakit kaya nasira un?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by reym View Post
    Hi Guys,

Ung Honda Jazz ng brother ko may nabasag sa portion ng block, ayaw na umandar.

Ano kaya nangyari? Bakit kaya nasira un?
    Unless we know what your brother was doing at the time, I can't tell you.

What I can tell you is this. A block is merely there to hold the engine internals in place. It doesn't move. For a block to crack, you have to:

1. Run the engine without changing the oil, long enough so that bearings inside seize up and the rotating assembly flies apart, ripping holes in the block.

2. Run the engine underwater. Piston meets water, piston loses. Rotating assembly flies apart.

3. Have a bearing failure. Same as above. But if a bearing is going, you'll hear it and feel it in the way the engine runs. And it takes a long time and poor maintenance to make one go.

4. Run the engine, overheating, until the metal parts inside start to melt and micro-weld to the block, leaving you with an unrepairable mess. This is my favorite.

5. A manufacturing flaw can cause a crack to appear in a block, but that's extremely rare. If the engine is not running, one of the others is a more likely explanation.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    My Brother was driving the car normally on a national highway when the engine stalled, as he tried to start, some sort of fire came our from the front of the engine (not front of the car). We pulled the car then checked the engine, there is a big crack in front of the engine (belt side). Could this be a result of a broken timing chain / belt? He checks the oil and water all the time.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    goodluck, and do share with us what does your mechanic have to say about the cause of the failure... for my brother's case....his MB100 Diesel block cracked also as mentioned in one of the possible causes mentioned by Niky.... water was sucked in by the Air intake tube...and we know that its incompressible when the piston rises.... so something has to give...its the block that gives normally.

BTW, ano Jazz ng brother mo. Year Model? 1.3 or 1.5; CVT/5AT or 5MT? Odometer reading...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My Brother was driving the car normally on a national highway when the engine stalled, as he tried to start, some sort of fire came our from the front of the engine (not front of the car). We pulled the car then checked the engine, there is a big crack in front of the engine (belt side). Could this be a result of a broken timing chain / belt? He checks the oil and water all the time.
    Defective engine block?

Engine has no mods?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Could be. Not really sure. You'd have to pull apart the engine to find out. Was the fire on the timing belt side? Pictures of the damage please.

Could be any number of things. Leaking fluids (though the exhaust manifold is at the back... so maybe not). Maybe an electrical thing... the heat from the fire or an overheat might cause the block to warp and crack.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    1.3 sya, 2003 or 04. No mods. Sa timingbelt at ung crack side ung fire.
    Once napunta ulit ako dun baklasin ko ung engine. How much is a replacemnt engine for the car?

8. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    sir kaya po nabasag yun block ay dahil yun connecting rod ay naputol
    tapos pumalo don sa block kaya nabasag yun block..

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Bakit naman kaya naputol ang connecting rod?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    How much is a replacemnt engine for the car?
    Good news: Surplus L13A3 engines are getting plentiful now.

Somewhat good news: They're rather cheap for a Honda engine. I'm told you could spot them in Banawe or Evangelista for a little over PhP50,000...with the transmission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Honda Jazz Engine problem