New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Good day good Tsikoteers!

Where else can I go to for help with my car but here, so here goes....

I'm using a Honda Civic LXI bought in 1997. In 2004 and 2005, the temperature gauge would just continue to rise until it almost reaches the redline, then goes back down to midlevel after some time. There seemed to be no set pattern when this would happen. Sometimes it does while I'm driving, sometimes days would pass when my drive seems hassle free.

In both instances, the problem was traced to a worn out thermostat and thermostat valve, and these parts were replaced then.

Last Friday, it happened again, and I'm almost sure this time that the thermostat and thermostat valve are worn out again.

When the problem was being diagnosed and fixed previously, some people suggested to me that I would be better off having those two parts removed from the engine altogether.

Has anybody had the same problem with their civic and were successful in removing these parts? Share naman po sila ng experience nila.

Sir Speedyfix and others, your thoughts are highly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!!!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    na check mo na ba rad fan baka mahina na ang takbo or barado na ang radiator mo pa overhaul mo na.

To test
    if during high speed tumataas ang temp, and pag bumagal na takbo bumababa rin ang temp, try mo muna pa overhaul ang radiator mo and check thermostat.

if during low speed tumataas ang temp and sa high speed naman bumababa ang temperature, possible cause is rad fan.

wag kang magaalis ng parts like thermostat meron purpose ito kaya nilagay yan as per design, pinagaralan iyan bago ilagay sa kotse mo, wag kang maniniwala sa sabisabi. kailangan mong gawin ay ipaayos ang problema wag mag short cut.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    bossing ask ko na din kc ganyan din ang problema ko sa esi 93 ko..pag mabilis tumataas yung temp nya..bago radiator ko and thermo swith, meron din ako aux fan na plague naka on...ano kaya posibleng sira neto? napa ayos ko ndin yung head gasket nya..help naman po...

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by teteng View Post
    Good day good Tsikoteers!

Where else can I go to for help with my car but here, so here goes....

I'm using a Honda Civic LXI bought in 1997. In 2004 and 2005, the temperature gauge would just continue to rise until it almost reaches the redline, then goes back down to midlevel after some time. There seemed to be no set pattern when this would happen. Sometimes it does while I'm driving, sometimes days would pass when my drive seems hassle free.

In both instances, the problem was traced to a worn out thermostat and thermostat valve, and these parts were replaced then.

Last Friday, it happened again, and I'm almost sure this time that the thermostat and thermostat valve are worn out again.

When the problem was being diagnosed and fixed previously, some people suggested to me that I would be better off having those two parts removed from the engine altogether.

Has anybody had the same problem with their civic and were successful in removing these parts? Share naman po sila ng experience nila.

Sir Speedyfix and others, your thoughts are highly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!!!
    The purpose of thermostat is to get the engine up to maintain the optimal temp., w/o it can cause you too much gas since your car is lot cooler. Do not remove this into the cooling system.
    You should find out the temperature of the thermostat that was originally installed in the car (ask your honda parts dealer)and stick with that and make sure to replace the the old coolant w/ fresh 50/50 coolant.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fcuk_macky View Post
    bossing ask ko na din kc ganyan din ang problema ko sa esi 93 ko..pag mabilis tumataas yung temp nya..bago radiator ko and thermo swith, meron din ako aux fan na plague naka on...ano kaya posibleng sira neto? napa ayos ko ndin yung head gasket nya..help naman po...
    Baka naman normal ang temperature mo. Kung minsan, nagloloko ang temp sender and/or gauge, at nagbibigay ng false reading.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Engine will overheat if thermostat is removed.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
    Baka naman normal ang temperature mo. Kung minsan, nagloloko ang temp sender and/or gauge, at nagbibigay ng false reading.

-very alarming kc halos naabot na sya sa redline..me kinalaman kaya yung water pump nun? kc yun nlng ang di ko napapa check sa lahat..

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    Some tropical and desert countries mechanics sometimes remove the thermostat since the climate is already hot. The coolant flows better w/o constricting it and the hot climate helps bring the engine to peak temperature. Engine run efficiently when they are at thier proper operating temp., and again IT WILL NOT OVERHEAT the engine.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    ^ i can attest to this based on my experience. my car didn't come with a thermostat (seven years ago, 2nd hand), never overheated. but yeah, the thermostat has a purpose, better to replace.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    To check if you t-stat is ok:
    1. Remove it and put it in a pail of water preferably with a thermometer. You can tie it to a wire or string or use tongs to pull it out.
    2. Heat the water.
    3. Watch the t-stat, it should open. Note the temp when it opens and check vs the rating marked on the t-stat body.
    4. If it fails to open, replace it.

Note: Be sure the engine is cold before doing any work. If the t-stat is already open when you remove it, replace.

Macky,

Check if you have oil in your water/coolant.
    Check you oil is it milky colored
    Do you lose coolant?
    Try replacing your radiator cap if you haven't done it yet, its cheap
    Check your fan belts may be lose or damaged
    do you hear boiling sounds
    how does your exhaust smell
    ask a mechanic to check your water pump

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Honda Civic Thermostat & Valve Removal