New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Dear All,

Early this morning I started my Civic 1997 vti with automatic transmission and the Crankshaft Pulley got dislodged/disconnected from the engine. Not knowing that it was dislodged, I drove it for about 10 meters back to its parking place. When I checked the pulley I saw that the thread in the center hole are already worn out. Even the bolt's thread is also worn out and needs to be replaced.

Sabi ng mekaniko need na daw palitan yung pulley, key and segunyal. Need din daw ng machine shop.
    Not really sure about what they said since I know very little about car engines.

Meron ba kayong mga trusted shops na pwedeng mag check, estimate and repair? Also if meron kayong alam na pwedeng mabilhan ng mga pyesa na surplus lang sana. Mga magkano kaya aabutin lahat pyesa + labor?

Q.C. Area ako near SM Sta. Mesa.

Please help mga ka tsikot...

Thanks in advance...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigunner View Post
    Dear All,

Early this morning I started my Civic 1997 vti with automatic transmission and the Crankshaft Pulley got dislodged/disconnected from the engine. Not knowing that it was dislodged, I drove it for about 10 meters back to its parking place. When I checked the pulley I saw that the thread in the center hole are already worn out. Even the bolt's thread is also worn out and needs to be replaced.

Sabi ng mekaniko need na daw palitan yung pulley, key and segunyal. Need din daw ng machine shop.
    Not really sure about what they said since I know very little about car engines.

Meron ba kayong mga trusted shops na pwedeng mag check, estimate and repair? Also if meron kayong alam na pwedeng mabilhan ng mga pyesa na surplus lang sana. Mga magkano kaya aabutin lahat pyesa + labor?

Thanks in advance...

try mo kay ZEE CARPLUS SERVICE, malapit lang sya dyan syo area mo

3. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    J Specs Autoparts

36 Kaliraya St. Cor Banawe St, Quezon City, 1113 Metro Manila
    (02) 622 1562
    https://g.co/kgs/ZJbiQc

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigunner View Post
    Dear All,

Thanks in advance...

The crankshaft snout is usually tempered (hardened) and is usually harder than the crankshaft bolt. Try chasing the thread of the crank snout using a hand tap.(if I'm not mistaken the thread is 17mm x 1.25) and replace the crank bolt. Honda Civic engine cranks turn CCW when viewed at the pulley and the bolt is usually torqued very high maybe the reason why it got stripped by whoever replaced the timing components.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Sakit nga ito ng civic ek habang tumatanda. Medyo madami-dami na din ako nabasa ng ganitong kaso

I had an ek before too and i was wary this may happen to me eventually. Awa ng Diyos hanggang nabenta namin hindj naman bumigay iyong crank shaft pulley nya.

do what you gotta do so you can do what you wanna do

6. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Here's a diagram to help you out, dude.

Your mechanic is correct. The crankshaft pulley, key and crankshaft needs replacement by the looks of it.

Not sure what he meant by machining something though. Did he also check the timing belt, camshaft and valves as well? All ok? I hope nothing is seriously broken. Did he open the engine or just visual checking?

By the way, without the pulley, your alternator, compressor and power steering will not work because there's nothing to turn them. You have to tow your car to the shop. I'm sure the check engine light is also on. Don't attempt starting your car. You might damage something further.

As for the shop, very sorry, can't help you there as I'm located in Makati.

Good luck!

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    Sakit nga ito ng civic ek habang tumatanda. Medyo madami-dami na din ako nabasa ng ganitong kaso

I had an ek before too and i was wary this may happen to me eventually. Awa ng Diyos hanggang nabenta namin hindj naman bumigay iyong crank shaft pulley nya.

do what you gotta do so you can do what you wanna do
    Sakit din ng EG (esi) yan. Mukang ang problema jan ay yung turnilyo. Hindi kaya yung torque kaya bumibigay.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    3 ways to fix this.

1. Half-*$sed (pambenta) is make remedyo of what is left in the crank thread and bolt and pulley, like mentioned, cleaning and rechasing threads, kikil dito at duon, put whatever wonder glue or thread locker, make sure to undertorque since you lose materials/biting strength in thread in the process and hope it wont fall again until the new owner drives away.

Usually, wala naman masisira engine wise if nalaglag to besides a couple of dents inside the engine bay due to the flying pulley bouncing in there.

2. Buy a new short block, plug and play and you're DONE. You have to change engine number though sa lto. Contact Jspecs, he can hook you up. Lol.

3.1 Buy a used crankshaft and pulley and bolt everything back together. Hope for the best. - cheap but not reliable.

3.2 Buy a used crank. Same as 3.1 BUT. Note, a crankshaft is line bored or "perfectly matched/machined/break-ined" so to speak, to its previous block's main girdle/bearing caps, bearings and conrods,etcetc...

Meaning, if you simply put it in to your old block and bearings and stuff, all related clearances are out of whack = short life for the engine.

So you need to buy new main bearing, conrod bearing, thrust bearing, have the used crankshaft line bored to your new block and check for straightness. Have the the machinjst fit all the bearings and check to specs all the clearances. Lot's of machine shop time, right? Also, you need to break in afterwards. - expensive but reliable.

Your call.

Di naman ito sakit ng honda ek, marami lang shop di nagamit ng torque wrench or kung meron man mali torque setting at prep. Just wet torque it using correct specs and procedure and you can sleep soundly at night. I have both bonestock d16 and a 500whp d16 revving to 9500rpm all day sa track or playgrounds and ni minsan di ako naglaglagan ng pulley.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Mga ka Tsikot, maraming salamat sa mga response nyo.

*Pakjun - Thanks for your recommendation. Will reach out to Zee Carplus Service and inquire about my concerns.

*Janemar - Thanks for your recommendation. Will reach out to J Specs Autoparts and inquire about my concerns.

*brushless - Thanks for the detailed picture. Yes he checked the timing belt and still seems ok. He just inspected it visually but did not open the engine. Not sure if camshaft and valves are ok, will get it checked by Zee or J Specs.

*Janemar - Thanks for your suggestions. I am leaning towards option 3.1 since planning to sell narin kasi yung car. But will keep option 2 in mind as well.

*Lew_Alcindor - Yep na loosed thread na yung bolt, same with the pulley.

Will keep you guys posted sa progress.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    tama sakit ng ESI yan ung sa akin dati 95 model esi pag start ko parang may narinig akong tunog na kroggg.tapos mga ilang meters .krog krog krog..biglang ilaw ng batt indicator..pag angat ko ng hood hindi na umiikot ung mga belt...

dinalan ko sa shop sabi nga ibaba daw ung segunyal..kasi naupod na ung nut...buti may usesero sa shop at binulong sa akin na kaya daw nila yan sa shop nila ng hindi na ibaba ung segunyal..

ang ginawa nag kalas lang ng engine support sa ibabaw para medyo bumababa ung makina.naka may spot welding lang..after ng mga 5 mins natanggal ung nut..ayun bumili ako ng crank pulley 3k saka labor ng 1k ..umokey na..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Honda Civic 1997 Crankshaft Pulley Dislodged From Engine