New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Dear Sir/s,
    I would like to inquire for advices and suggestions regarding engine conversion. I have a Toyota Hilux Surf 1991 model. One recommendation was brought to my attention that it would be better to convert/change my engine to another because they said it is not suited to our climate[here in the Phil] and I have been having trouble with it due to overheating.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eajrapogi View Post
    Dear Sir/s,
    I would like to inquire for advices and suggestions regarding engine conversion. I have a Toyota Hilux Surf 1991 model. One recommendation was brought to my attention that it would be better to convert/change my engine to another because they said it is not suited to our climate[here in the Phil] and I have been having trouble with it due to overheating.

Based sa car directory 2L-TE ang engine mo, am I right? if 2L nga panong hindi mag match yan eh lahat ng revo na diesel 2L ang makina? without the turbo charger nga lang. hehehe

Pa check mo yung thermostat, water pump and radiator... malamang me sira dyan..

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    yup 2L-TE nga po.. ok po sir, tnx sa advice..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If the problem is just overheating, why not upgrade the radiator and radiator fans. You could also throw in an oil cooler or two as well.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    there are issues of 2L-TE cracked cylinder heads and overheating problems at 4x4ph

I'd try to find a 5L-TE to swap. Never seen any 5L with cracking heads or overheating issues...

But if you'd rather remain with the original engine, just replacing the radiator and its fan (I'd always recommend an electric fan over a clutch-type fan) would already help.