New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    guys, i had my fuel filter replaced a few weeks ago and the mechanic told me that my unit was missing a fuel strainer. he showed me a space where it was supposed to go, after the fuel filter i guess?

anyway, he described it and i went to a auto shop and found one but it was the wrong size. it looks like a round seive, smaller that a ballpen in circumference and about an inch tall lang.

is there really supposed to be one on my unit? it is a 1997 pajero with the 4d56turbo engine.

if so, where can i get it?

andy

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    checked sa Haynes manual unfortuantely all i got was pics of the fuel filter installation

yes meron nga dapat

madalas low fuel pressure lower than standard value
    one probable cause is clogged fuel strainer kaya u have to replace it

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    i recently also changed my fuel filter, gen2 4d56 turbo paj. my mechanic friend was curious if there is a fuel strainer going to the injection pump. we checked and found no strainer. i don't know if the previous owner intentionally took it out. but the diameter of the hole in the "supposed" location of the strainer was bigger considerably than the one found in the L200 4d56.

the L200 has no turbo but basically they 'almost' have the same engine as the paj. i wonder if the pajero has no strainer at all in the first place. other paj owners might have some knowledge on this.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Di ba ito yung part na tinatanggal para mas maganda ang fuel flow?

5. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    that's what we have suspected. yung strainer kasi parang naiimpede nya yung flow ng fuel. my friend will try to remove the strainer from the L200 to see if there is an improvement in performance. hirap kasing umakyat sa inclines.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    i guess we have to answer two questions:

1) is there really supposed to be one( mukhang meron ata dapat)

2) is there any detrimental effect if it is removed? (kahit di na natin isipin ang improvements)

andy

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It wont hinder liquid flow.... unless it's clogged. I suppose that there's supposed to be one in place when you get your ride. I cant recall my Gen2 having one since i didnt really watch when I had my car calibrated. The technician didnt mention anything either.

Since it gets clogged up, we can safely assume that it does it's job. In short, removing it may have some ill effects. If any, long term naman ang tama and hindi right then and there. Remember, we do have a fuel fiter.

fuel strainer for 4d56 turbo?