New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    On the hood, there's a sticker that states the manufacturer's recommended settings for the engine timing which is 10 degrees BTDC for the Corolla 1.6 4afe engine ...

My car's distributor was never been touched or repaired before, it still has distributor's factory settings from the day it was assembled..

Why is the distributor set at a max timing of 12 degrees rather than the recommended 10 degrees ??

My co-worker has the same car as mine, same all stock engine also, I took a look at the distributor in his car, it is position at the max setting the same as mine, which is 12 degrees BTDC ...

Can someone give a light on this ???

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    fuel quality? japan has higher ron back then?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaremos View Post
    On the hood, there's a sticker that states the manufacturer's recommended settings for the engine timing which is 10 degrees BTDC for the Corolla 1.6 4afe engine ...

My car's distributor was never been touched or repaired before, it still has distributor's factory settings from the day it was assembled..

Why is the distributor set at a max timing of 12 degrees rather than the recommended 10 degrees ??

My co-worker has the same car as mine, same all stock engine also, I took a look at the distributor in his car, it is position at the max setting the same as mine, which is 12 degrees BTDC ...

Can someone give a light on this ???

You must be talking about checking ignition timing.
    Whoever is doing it for you is not reading and following the instructions.

You check ignition timing with the engine fully warmed up and with a jumper wire, connect TE1 and E1 of the TDCL or Toyota diagnostic link connector located in the engine compartment while the ignition timing is checked and adjusted. Some distributor mounting holes are round, meaning, you can not do manual adjustments.
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; January 13th, 2018 at 04:45 AM.