New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    mangyan,

Ok lang if you're using an orig oil filter and change air filter often. I've done 7k km interval on delvac 1.

What's the vehicle?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    paging kimpoy...

do u remember about the TOP 1 semi Synthetic i bought...for my 2 vehicles...

hmmm i did a change oil on both vehicles yesterday...parang tubig nung lumabas (very smooth...malabnaw)...pero of course black to...after 5000km ...70thous. km prado...40thous. km xwind

ang galing...kaya pala top1 gamit mo...kaya lang 200 pesos per liter huhuhu

no sludge? maganda ba ang ibig sabihin nito?

tnx po
    Last edited by Jeepcruizerph; August 7th, 2004 at 12:27 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Jackaroo: thanks for the reply, sir. My ride is a strada 2002 and I am using Finer Air Filter. I Clean my filter every 5000 kms and I am using the orig. mitsu oil filter.
    Last edited by mangyan; August 7th, 2004 at 05:47 PM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    mangyan,

Is your oil filter MD069782? Think it's a combined bypass- full flow filter which means your oil will stay clean longer.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You wont see the sludge going out as it sticks inside the engine... Kung parang tubig, baaad oil.

Change the oil filter every 5,000km pa rin if you decide to extend your drain interval as aforementioned. Kung budget-minded, its still cheaper to use mineral and change every 5K then using synth and changing every 10K given the costs of synths nowadays.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I change oil and filter every 10K, using Mobil Delvac 1. Air filter is replaced every 5K. Yoko ma-asthma ang ride ko!

But this time around, I'll be doing the 5K.

10K-5K-10K etc. intervals since mahal ang synth waaah!

Vinj, is there a way to remove sludge from your engine?
    Last edited by Dieseler; August 9th, 2004 at 01:15 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If its not that bad, flushing the engine with oil can help. Kung bad case of sludge, you'll have to open her up (engine and oil pan) to remove and clean everything up.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Sir Jackaroo: thanks for the info. Nakasanayan ko na kasi ang synthetic at medyo bago pa ang engine(30k) kaya ayoko pang mag-mineral. So I am finding ways na makatipid ng konti sa synthetic by extending oil drain. Hirap kasi ng buhay ngayon.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmm ako every 4500 oil change... rimula x

10. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    One of the best, if not the best guides whether to extend drains of diesel engine oils is the used-oil analysis program. At certain intervals, the sump oil is sampled and the sample tested in the laboratory. The TBN, viscosity, and in addition, the chemistry of the used oil are determined, and the results used to guide the user whether to extend use of the oil or not. Unfortunately, in our setting such UOA is either not easily accessible or not affordable.

IMO (in the absence of jackaroo's schemes and non-availabilty of the UOA), extending the oil change interval (OCI) should only be done if one is using semi-synthetic or fully-synthetic diesel engine oil. For the pure dino oil, it is most prudent to stick to the engine maker's recommendations, and in its absence, a 5,000 km. or 6 months (whichever comes first) OCI should do.

As jackaroo said, a fully-synthetic oil can last one year with a mid-year oil filter change. I think a semi-synthetic should have an OCI in-between that of the dino and the fully-synthetic.

On the matter of engine sludge....
    With advancement in the technology, nowadays, it may no longer be necessary to open-up the engine in order to clean it up and remove the sludge. Please take a look at this Auto-Rx site. The Auto-Rx in my 4JX1 Trooper is just at the beginning of its cleaning phase, while in my 2.0L Adventure and 1.6L Mazda 323, the cleaning phase by Auto-Rx is halfway through. Since I should be changing oils and oil filters after the cleaning phase, it should be interesting to see if dirt has really abnormally accummulated by opening-up the filters. Once I have enough information on results of Auto-Rx application in my rides, I think this deserves a thread of its own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Extended Oil Drains for Diesels.....