New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hi peeps!

i've tried googling this many times already, but couldn't find a straight answer...

Say you got an old school, EURO-2 engine, and you load it up with EURO-4 fuel; will the emissions at the tailpipe be EURO-4 as well?

Would adding a catalytic converter make it EURO-4?

tia

2. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Euro 4 emission is different from Euro 4 fuels
    Euro 4 EMISSION basically define the acceptable limits for exhaust emissions of "NEW VEHICLES"
    parameters measured.
    *nitrogen oxides (NOx),
    *total hydrocarbon (THC),
    *non-methane hydrocarbons (NMHC),
    *carbon monoxide (CO) and
    *particulate matter (PM)
    (ways to reduce this substances is through Exhaust gas recirculation/ 3 way catalytic converter/diesel particulate filter/ ECU programming and timing/ injector advancement and most especially fuel formulation)

“Euro IV FUELS” standard has applied since 2005, which specifies a maximum of 50 ppm of sulfur in diesel fuel for most highway vehicles (also known as ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel)

even though you use Euro IV fuels, but your vehicle was not designed or built to meet emission standards you will still be below euro IV emission..
    if your vehicle is Euro IV compliant and you opted to use below Euro IV fuels then your risking/decreasing service life of your engine internals/injectors and your catalytic converter...

Advanced and modern catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters require fuels and oils which are ultra low sulphur content, low zinc, low ash, that is to prolong their life...

if im not mistaken the Philippines is euro II.... just look around at all the buses and jeep... makes you wonder how they pass their emission test

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    If you have a diesel engine, you might want to fill up sa Unioil stations coz they claim that they have a 50ppm diesel same with seaoil and PTT. Don't know about their petrols...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Oil companies doesn't divulge their formula as to the content of their petrol fuel but mostly its composed of this primary substances
    1. Aromatics-organic compounds based on the benzene ring, a 6-carbon ring with 3 delocalised double bonds, e.g., benzene, toluene, xylene, etc.
    2. Olefines-organic compounds which have double bonds. After combustion, one critical by-product is 1,3-butadiene.
    3. Oxygenates-organic compounds containing oxygen molecules such as methane, ethane or MTBE (methyl-tertiary-butyl ether).

gasoline are mainly regulated by the lead(now replaced by benzene) and ethanol(organic compounds) they contain together with octane rating
    while diesel are regulated by the number of sulphur and zinc they contain together with cetane rating

Sulphur, lead, benzene, toluene are all generally not healthy to humans...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    sorry if i have to bring this topic back. is ptt diesel euro 4 also same with unioil? can anyone confirm this?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by miko101130 View Post
    Oil companies doesn't divulge their formula as to the content of their petrol fuel but mostly its composed of this primary substances
    1. Aromatics-organic compounds based on the benzene ring, a 6-carbon ring with 3 delocalised double bonds, e.g., benzene, toluene, xylene, etc.
    2. Olefines-organic compounds which have double bonds. After combustion, one critical by-product is 1,3-butadiene.
    3. Oxygenates-organic compounds containing oxygen molecules such as methane, ethane or MTBE (methyl-tertiary-butyl ether).

gasoline are mainly regulated by the lead(now replaced by benzene) and ethanol(organic compounds) they contain together with octane rating
    while diesel are regulated by the number of sulphur and zinc they contain together with cetane rating

Sulphur, lead, benzene, toluene are all generally not healthy to humans...
    Bro, actually they don't keep it secret naman. If you will buy in bulk say 1 tanker/lorry or more than 10K L you could request for a COC certificate of compliance or kinda laboratory analysis certificate, there it details all the test that was done..i.e cloud point, cetane, ash content, lubricity etc. I have a scanned copy of a recent sample from Shell station for its new Diesoline..says there cetane =52
    . I just dont know how to post it.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    sorry if i have to bring this topic back. is ptt diesel euro 4 also same with unioil? can anyone confirm this?
    PTT is Euro2. Check their site.

Available diesels that are Euro3 and up are from Seaoil, Unioil, Flying V (not sure about Eastern Petroleum)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    mas maganda ba ang Euro-4 fuel sa mga Crdi engines? aside sa lower sulfur content.

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    my take: the engine will get noisier and wear will accelerate mostly sa fuel injection if you put in euro4 fuel to a conventional diesel. sulfur = lubricity. low sulfur = low lubricity. pero pwede rin siguro, dagdagan mo nga lang 2T.hehe

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Errol5 View Post
    PTT is Euro2. Check their site.

Available diesels that are Euro3 and up are from Seaoil, Unioil, Flying V (not sure about Eastern Petroleum)
    kasi nakalagay .05 sulfur content sila and ganun din ang unioil. i didn't know that flying V is euro3 up pala. thanks for the info sir.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
EURO-4 fuel