New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Informative slideshow on all the Engine of the Year Award winners ...

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/other...ei=13#image=15

engine.jpg

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 111prez View Post
    Informative slideshow on all the Engine of the Year Award winners ...

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/other...ei=13#image=15

engine.jpg
    i wonder,
    what are the criteria?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Is there credibility in that story? Seems like it's just satire...

... ‘The 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine is one of the finest examples of powertrain engineering.’ Years later, Ford was giving full refunds to thousands of customers affected by sudden failures of the EcoBoost engines. This followed a BBC investigation, which found that hundreds of engines had overheated.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Is there credibility in that story? Seems like it's just satire...
    well, if ford were really giving money to disgruntled costumers...
    that's a good sign for me to avoid such models.
    google seems to verify it...

5. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    yeah it's belt-in-oil bits of belt clog the oil pickup then you get low oil pressure, metal-on-metal contact

the 1.5L "dragon" engine on the ecosport facelift is also belt-in-oil. so is the new ranger

generally speaking awards are mostly BS and not just automotive "awards"

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I know that the Ecoboost fails are legit.

What boggles the mind is that, despite all that, it still garnered an Engine of the Year award?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I know that the Ecoboost fails are legit.

What boggles the mind is that, despite all that, it still garnered an Engine of the Year award?
    Ah well Engine of the Year is usually awarded early on in the life cycle of an engine when there's close to zero data on reliability.
    The Ford Ecoboost 1.0 started production in 2012 and immediately won the award, and the following year as well.

The award probably only focuses on technical wins like achieving certain breakthroughs in power to weight or packaging, and looking at the awardees in hindsight (as the article did) you can see many of the winning engines proved to be quite flawed in the long run.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Ah well Engine of the Year is usually awarded early on in the life cycle of an engine when there's close to zero data on reliability.
    The Ford Ecoboost 1.0 started production in 2012 and immediately won the award, and the following year as well.

The award probably only focuses on technical wins like achieving certain breakthroughs in power to weight or packaging, and looking at the awardees in hindsight (as the article did) you can see many of the winning engines proved to be quite flawed in the long run.
    exactly my thoughts.