New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    sirs, what could be the problem if the engine starts fine when it's cold but won't when it's warm? it cranks but won't start when you try it after you've used the car for a while.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    What car and year model, po? And what engine?

One big possibility is a sensor problem. If your engine bay is too hot, a sensor might be going haywire. If I understand you, it'll run hot, but it won't start if you turn it off and try to start it again?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

One big possibility is a sensor problem. If your engine bay is too hot, a sensor might be going haywire. If I understand you, it'll run hot, but it won't start if you turn it off and try to start it again?
    niky, malaki ba factor kung old model na ang engine (ae92)
    ang ride at saka nasa malamig na place (tagaytay)
    hirap sila start sa umaga lalo na kung super lamig

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

tama po sir, that's what my problem is even though the temperature gauge never goes above normal levels. my car's an exalta sta but the engine's an sr20det.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo_dlc View Post
    tama po sir, that's what my problem is even though the temperature gauge never goes above normal levels. my car's an exalta sta but the engine's an sr20det.
    Ouch! Had the same car before, with an SR20 swap. That's a difficult problem to diagnose. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with a swapped car. There may be circuits or grounds that are overloaded by the heat and pop, or sensors or electricals that may be fried by the intense underhood heat from the DET.

It might be coilpacks, but if it is, the car should die when you run it hard, too. There are various idle controls also that might go loco when you turn off the car and try to turn it on again. This could happen if your MAF gets really hot during running... it's happened to me once or twice. Have the impedances of all your sensors on the intake checked, then have a decent mechanic look at your throttle body.

Mahirap talaga pag turbo at medyo luma na yung mga sensors. While your temp gauge reads normal, that just means your coolant is okay. It doesn't tell you squat about how hot the plastic-bodied sensors, coil packs, distributor and high tension wires are getting. And with a DET, they can get very, very hot.

Worst case scenario: Your computer box is busted and is shorting out when you turn the car off, then acting normal when it's cool again. Big headache there.

There are more guys who can help you with this on nissanforums.com, allnissans.com (nissan forum old-timers, pero the activity there is kinda low) and sr20forums.com as the SR20DET is a common swap for these boys.

A quick fix that might work... if your custom intake tubing is metal (you do have an intercooler, right?) wrap the thing in aluminum foam insulation. It works for some people, and it can't hurt. Just don't place it too near the exhaust, as it might melt or catch fire.

Best fix? Buy new sensors and coil-packs... even if some of them are new. Expensive, but it saves you a lot of headaches down the road.

Hehe... my biggest regret was never having enough time or money to do a DET conversion properly, or to fix all the niggling problems I had with that car. Busted quite a few computer boxes, too, due to grounds and short circuits in the chassis.

I might try it again in the next year on a simpler car, an older Sentra with no stock electronics or ECU.

-----

RE: old model, cold place... pansin ko medyo sakal ang local tuning at stock air filters on some cars for mountainous areas... but tagaytay isn't really that high. Pero medyo sensitive nga ang carbs kung madumi o barado.
    Last edited by niky; January 28th, 2007 at 12:32 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Believe The Advice If The Adviser Is An Expert Mechanic Otherwise Junk His Advice And Better See An Expert Mechanic

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by reaganyun View Post
    Believe The Advice If The Adviser Is An Expert Mechanic Otherwise Junk His Advice And Better See An Expert Mechanic
    Which is why I told him to check:

www.nissanforums.com
    www.allnissans.com
    www.sr20fourms.com

because I know the guys there, and there are some very good and very experienced mechanics and engine-swappers there.

Also, enzo_dlc, ask around on www.nissanbayan.com , as there are people there who can point you at the best SR20-swap electricians and shops, people in the Philippines who can help you.

Good luck.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    i've already posted in nissanbayan. they're just taking longer to answer my question. hehe.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo_dlc View Post
    i've already posted in nissanbayan. they're just taking longer to answer my question. hehe.
    Oh, ok. Medyo slow yung traffic diyan ngayon... di siya kagaya nung dati, andaming active. Sayang.

I think sr20forums is the best bet.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    crank position sensor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Engine won't start when warm