New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    1.) What are the things that I need to look out for when I do an engine swap?
    2.) How do I go about processing the papers for my new engine to be legit?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004

a. Cosmetic condition of the engine. There should be no corrosion on the aluminum parts, and the wiring to the plugs should be intact. A severely dented oil pan might not flow oil well, anymore. Check for stains or corrosion behind the throttle body (to know if water has entered the engine)

b. The running condition of the surplus engine you're swapping in (compression test, and see, at least, that it'll crank over).

c. Wiring. It's always best if the engine has an uncut harness and a computer box with it.

d. Necessary extras that aren't part of the package. With a Nissan SR20 swap, the mind-boggling number of engine-tranny combos (Serena, Altima, Sentra, Pulsar, etcetera) means you might not get the right drive-axles. With a Honda swap, if you're swapping for power, you may need to buy a new fuel tank, as the fuel pumps can't be swapped out.

I saw a Mitsubishi GDi engine swap that fizzled out at the last minute (engine was already in and wired) because they couldn't wire the radiator fans properly... the GDi had a continuously variable fan controlled directly by the ECU.

e. Research, research, research. It pays to know everything you need to know before you do the swap. And it pays to understand the costs in terms of time and money. Suffice to say, unless you're doing this for reasons of power, it doesn't make economic sense.

2. You'll need the receipt for the engine, at least, and the importation papers. "Change-engine" at the LTO is a bloody business that I still don't quite understand... :hihihi:

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    try this link from the LTO website:

http://www.lto.gov.ph/mvreq4.html

HTH

Engine swap?