New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Car is an old 1993 Honda Civic 1.5LX Sedan (non-fuel injected). Stock engine. Engine shudder/power loss occurs during high rpm conditions when accelerator pedal is fully depressed during actual driving. Doing so while car is in neutral and stopped causes no problems. Easing up on the pedal usually does the trick (but where's the fun in that?).

Was much worse before, power loss would occur in moderate rpms eventually leading to engine dying out (but restart-able after less than a minute). Had my carburetor tuned up in kamuning, QC and this mostly solved the problem except again in the conditions stated in my first paragraph.

Previous engine related work done:
    Top overhaul, radiator work and various cooling hoses replaced due to excessive coolant loss leading to engine overheating.

Any ideas gurus? I really dont want to end up getting rid of the car since its been reasonably reliable naman these 20 years that my family has had it. Am actually considering restoring and modding it now that it's all mine to tinker with. TIA! :-)

DirtDiver

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    probably

dirty carburator or dirty fuel filter.
    faulty high tension wires or spark plugs
    faulty alternator
    failing fuel pump.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My first suspect is the fuel system,. Check your fuel filter and carburator.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdiver View Post
    Car is an old 1993 Honda Civic 1.5LX Sedan (non-fuel injected). Stock engine. Engine shudder/power loss occurs during high rpm conditions when accelerator pedal is fully depressed during actual driving. Doing so while car is in neutral and stopped causes no problems. Easing up on the pedal usually does the trick (but where's the fun in that?).

Was much worse before, power loss would occur in moderate rpms eventually leading to engine dying out (but restart-able after less than a minute). Had my carburetor tuned up in kamuning, QC and this mostly solved the problem except again in the conditions stated in my first paragraph.

Previous engine related work done:
    Top overhaul, radiator work and various cooling hoses replaced due to excessive coolant loss leading to engine overheating.

Any ideas gurus? I really dont want to end up getting rid of the car since its been reasonably reliable naman these 20 years that my family has had it. Am actually considering restoring and modding it now that it's all mine to tinker with. TIA! :-)

DirtDiver

the available voltage from the ignition coil might be insufficient during transition (low vacuum and moderate rpm) or the exhaust system might be plugged up or the exhaust backpressure is excessive. try to connect a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold. get the engine idle vacuum, abrupt opening of the throttle and the sustained mid throttle engine vacuums. post your results for analysis

the ignition can be tested with HEI spark tester

http://www.acquire.co.nz/acquire/img.ashx?id=l637482
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; July 4th, 2013 at 12:06 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    most likely fuel system problem ... fuel filter checked? fuel lines clogged? fuel tank checked?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    mukhang kapos ng fuel. baka baradong fuel filter lang po yan.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the responses guys. Will check your recommendations out. Will update the thread when new info/updates come along.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Sorry for the really late update. Turns out that my fuel tank was filthy, and the filter couldn't hack it. So cleaned it up and no more shuddering.

Engine shudder and power loss at high rpms under load -- pls Help!