New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Do all engines rotate in a certain direction? Facing the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer, I know my car's engine rotation is clockwise, because I once had to do a valve adjustment on it so I had to know which direction to turn the engine

Curious if others have it turn the other way. And what would happen if you turn it the wrong way (in general)? I'm sure the timing won't be off but it might if the belt and sprockets slip a tooth due to release of tension (if it's not tight)...aside from that?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Really wouldn't know... I've never turned an engine by hand with the head on.

Some engines rotate the "wrong" way. I think Hondas are among them.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Never encountered an engine that didn't turn clockwise when viewed from the "front". But that's just me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Do all engines rotate in a certain direction? Facing the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer, I know my car's engine rotation is clockwise, because I once had to do a valve adjustment on it so I had to know which direction to turn the engine

Curious if others have it turn the other way. And what would happen if you turn it the wrong way (in general)? I'm sure the timing won't be off but it might if the belt and sprockets slip a tooth due to release of tension (if it's not tight)...aside from that?
    I've heard of engine rotation reversal from a clockwise to counter clockwise direction to optimize propeller action in boats. I guess you can do that on inline and V automotive engines. I think you will need to add an intermediate gear that will sync the crankshaft and the camshaft. You will need to fiddle with the toothing of this gear as well since it will definitely affect camshaft action to effect valve opening /closing. But for valve clearance adjustments and timing purposes however, I don't see any problem rotating the crankshaft the other way around because you will still refer to the timing cover degree marks and intake and exhaust valve actions when performing these tasks.

Engine rotation