New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    in just a few months i have been lingering in this website, i have seen a lot of discussions of engine top and major overhauls. today's cars and engines are designed way above the cars that needed frequent visits to the crusty "mechanic" for tune up around 20000 miles, valve adjustment every six months, decarbonize combustion chambers every now and then and the list goes on. sure these "mechanics" need to earn a living, but your engine's metallurgy, design, engineering and expected endurance has far improved. there is absolutely no need to overhaul your engine for at least 15 years if you follow the maintenance schedule, use the recommended fluids and refrain from tampering the car specially if you don't have the knowledge, skills and the tools necessary to do tasks above oil changes, spark plug replacement or air filter replacement. that's why some car manufacturers use tamper resistant fasteners in fact, some cvt equipped cars do not provide you a dipstick nor a provision to add the wrong fluid.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    specific year models?
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Correct. With some exception on performance / sports cars though, since it will almost have no choice but to be driven hard almost all the time, plus track visits from time to time. Even if they have stronger internals than ordinary cars, followed proper maintenance, etc. I think in... let's say 20 yrs. it will have a visit w/ a mechanic for an overhaul. Just my 2 cents.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GodziRRa! View Post
    Correct. With some exception on performance / sports cars though, since it will almost have no choice but to be driven hard almost all the time, plus track visits from time to time. Even if they have stronger internals than ordinary cars, followed proper maintenance, etc. I think in... let's say 20 yrs. it will have a visit w/ a mechanic for an overhaul. Just my 2 cents.

that's talking about street cars. true race cars need to be overhauled after just one run.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    that's talking about street cars. true race cars need to be overhauled after just one run.
    Yep street sportscars.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GodziRRa! View Post
    20 years?

for example the engine of a Nissan GTR will last 20 years without overhaul?

i dont think so

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    20 years?

for example the engine of a Nissan GTR will last 20 years without overhaul?

i dont think so

yes, most cars when maintained properly using the right fluids and done within prescribed service intervals. i had one 1987 mazda 323 station wagon ran to the time my daughters drove them to school. this car was older than them, i threw it away after my youngest daughter total wrecked it. i have a 1992 toyota previa, still have it. both vehicles never experienced even removal of oil pan. it all depends on how you maintained it. both only been serviced by the dealer once, at the first oil change. since then, i did all the maintenance. if you don't believe this, you are entitled to your wrong opinion

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    oh... i'm sorry for offending you automobile god

i'm sure you're never wrong when it comes to automobiles

i guess it's your self-appointed mission to save this poor developing country from automobile ignorance

it's sad nobody in this country is as knowledgeable as you

you're heaven sent... really

9. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    I agree, for a properly maintained engine from the start, with correct fluids replacement at recommended intervals, the engine itself will hardly need an overhaul for the life of the car. Do away with all the additives.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    imho, madali lang naman imaintain ang engine ng kotse but will require conscious effort. just do d pms at correct intervals, use quality fluids and filter and your done. personally i get the latest api rating oil i can get my hands on. AFAIK, SM na rating na ata ngayon

true, malaki na improvement ng mga engines. medyo mas complex but some TLC will prevent premature and severe wear.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
engine overhauls