New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    patanong din,
    I've noticed on some cars, may parang heat shield yung sa headers nya, (I'll try to get pix) so nahihiwalay yung header from the radiator kumbaga.
    Kung gusto ko gayahin to should I:
    a) use something that absorbs the heat, metallic
    b) use something that blocks the heat, fiberglass or other insulating material

Iniisip ko B dapat kasi ganyan yung purpose ng header wraps, pero why are the stock heat shields metallic, or meron lang insulating material sa ilalim nun?

magulo ba? :oops: haha

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Ayos! hehehehehehe very well explained!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybitz
    patanong din,
    I've noticed on some cars, may parang heat shield yung sa headers nya, (I'll try to get pix) so nahihiwalay yung header from the radiator kumbaga.
    Kung gusto ko gayahin to should I:
    a) use something that absorbs the heat, metallic
    b) use something that blocks the heat, fiberglass or other insulating material

Iniisip ko B dapat kasi ganyan yung purpose ng header wraps, pero why are the stock heat shields metallic, or meron lang insulating material sa ilalim nun?

magulo ba? :oops: haha
    er... you can use fiberglass but you'll need a resin to hold it in place. The resin will eventually burn in such an application.

Stock headers sometimes have a sheet of metal over them being used as a heat shield and its effective. Reason is its reflecting back the heat that is being radiated from the headers. You can check the way its installed, there is a small gap between the headers and the heatshield. The heatshield does get hot though.

Having header wraps is more effective. But its a time consuming task to wrap every headers that comes down the assembly line. The heatshield is a simple device that can be bolted on in a few seconds.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    since your max torque is around 3000rpm while your redline is at 6000rpm, I would suggest 4-2-1 headers and have them wrapped to reduce heat. If you have the choice, get headers with longer pipes. You can upgrade your pipings later.
    dude, 7500rpm redline sa tach ko eh... yeah nga eh, ever since, i've been planning to get 4-2-1 headers to increase my low end torque. bagal tlga ng 1st gear ng galant eh. :roll: what do u mean by getting headers with longer pipes? :?:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    since your max torque is around 3000rpm while your redline is at 6000rpm, I would suggest 4-2-1 headers and have them wrapped to reduce heat. If you have the choice, get headers with longer pipes. You can upgrade your pipings later.
    dude, 7500rpm redline sa tach ko eh... yeah nga eh, ever since, i've been planning to get 4-2-1 headers to increase my low end torque. bagal tlga ng 1st gear ng galant eh. :roll: what do u mean by getting headers with longer pipes? :?:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ssaloon
    headers with longer pipes... usually headers join up from four pipe to two pipes to a single pipe by the time it gets to the bend around the oil pan. A header with longer pipes, the 4-2 junction will happen at the point just before where the headers bend around the oil pan. Then the 2-1 junction will be under the engine. This would help maintain the velocity of the exhaust gasses and also help the "scavenging" effect of the exhaust gasses from the cylinders.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    so when i have my headers fabricated, i'd just tell them to make them with longer pipes?

also, where would you recommend to have headers installed?

i saw a thread in another msg board saying that he could refer me to someone who fabricates pipings using mandrel bent pipes. siguradong mahal yun! :?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ssaloon
    so when i have my headers fabricated, i'd just tell them to make them with longer pipes?
    well, yes. But only if they have the "mold" for your car. If not, you'll have to leave your car with them for hours for them to custom job a set of long pipe headers for your car.

also, where would you recommend to have headers installed?

i saw a thread in another msg board saying that he could refer me to someone who fabricates pipings using mandrel bent pipes. siguradong mahal yun! :?
    Usually I would recommend nodalos or fremuff but you can contact autoxer thru his email "autoxer*yahoo.com". I know he has a mandrel bender and he has the resources to probably fabricate your headers.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pwede na ipafabricate from headers all the way to exhaust pipings with mandrel bent pipes right? tapos kabit nalang sa muffler ko? tama po ba?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    prof ghosthunter:mrgreen:

prof, somebody kasi told me na replacing the exhaust pipe can help improve engines performance (pero un nga limited kasi 1.3 carb siya), btw he is also using a 1.3 carb lancer.....tapos di naman daw maingay...

another alternative, can putting cold air into my intake help increase hp or faster accelration?lets say un lang ang mod na gagawin ko sa engine ko.....kasi pansin ko, the carb performs well pag malamig surroundings (like kung umuulang or kung gabi na)

i think there's a way na malagayan ng conetype ung mga carb diba?lalagyan lang ng tube?kasi ive seen this lancer gl, carb na 1.5, naka conetype tapos may tube...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Engine Modification 101?