New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Mga bossing question(s) lang...

My brother's finacee's car is having some problem with the engine...
    kumakain daw ng langis and hindi makita kung saan yung tumatagas...
    he wants it to undergo an overhaul but I advise him to undergo a compression test first para malaman yung extent ng problem and not overhaul basta basta...
    what are the other possible suspects if oil drip is not visible...
    the car is a 97/98 1.3L corolla m/t lovelife (tama ba???) he says that the car feels underpowered...

thanks

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Underpower is a virtual sign of loose compression add up to that is the abnormal oil consumption. My last vehicle, the corolla xl 92 has had the same problem before until I had the engine top overhauled, and eventually, sold it. Because of irregular oil consumption, I had to regularly top it up with a liter then before rolling off. It was a pain in the pocket. It was the worn-out valve seal reason oil escapes when engine is running. You may have to purchase either the genuine toyota or the generic valve seal repair kit. If your would-be hipag intends to keep the car longer for keeps, then the genuine kit is the best buy. If she deemed necessary to sell it after the overhaul, then buy the generic kit. And btw have it overhauled to a reputable auto shop. Hope this helps.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Karag2 View Post
    Mga bossing question(s) lang...

My brother's finacee's car is having some problem with the engine...
    kumakain daw ng langis and hindi makita kung saan yung tumatagas...
    he wants it to undergo an overhaul but I advise him to undergo a compression test first para malaman yung extent ng problem and not overhaul basta basta...
    what are the other possible suspects if oil drip is not visible...
    the car is a 97/98 1.3L corolla m/t lovelife (tama ba???) he says that the car feels underpowered...

thanks

It happens as the engine begins to wear w/ thousands of kilometers. Ang experience na yan dahil sa wearing ng metals is basically from one oil change to another, in time the oil consumption will increase. There are so many product in the market (dont know about phils) that can help w/ the burnoff like "RESTORE" this could help the problem.

As damaging the engine w/ her present problem, no problem as long as she keep the oil at the proper level.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If oil drips cannot be found:

1. Check if the oil creeps along the underbody of the car, maybe on the exhaust downpipe, and burns as it remains in contact with the hot exhaust pipes.

2. Check if the cooling system still has fresh coolant/water solution. If it's brown, milk-like and/or viscous (malapot), that may mean that the coolant/water mixture has already mixed with the oil and you're suffering head gasket/head warpage.

3. Have the cooling system pressure tested as well as have the compression test done per cylinder.

4. Is there smoke present at the tailpipe? If so, it's possible that the valve stem seals have worn down and oil is being burned that way. It won't show any drips, leaks, etc but the oil level has to be replenished on occasion. I think this one only calls for top overhaul.

But do have the compression test on the engine, and the pressure test done to the cooling system, to check if they're still up to spec.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Check also front and main oil seal, oil pipes, drain plug, crankcase/oil pan gaskets and even oil filter tightness.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    though it doesn't tell everything, a simple way to check your engine status is to open your dip stick and let the engine run and see how much oil steam are you having.

question lang po guys. diba po mura lang yung valve seals and labor? and will you call it top overhaul kung valve seal lang ang palitan?
    Last edited by rion; May 25th, 2008 at 01:42 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    not really, pero pagpina set mo na yun valve sa seat top overhaul na yun.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ah ok. salamat po afrasay.

so labor charge won't be as much as a top overhaul diba?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Usually top overhaul is like what you do in general overhaul, you replace every moving and stationary frictional parts. Palit valves, valve guide, valve seat inserts, valve seals and sometimes valve spring. Proper valve and valve seat interference must be followed para tumagal ang effective sealing and service life.

Valve lapping is just reseating/equalling the contact area of the valve to the seat.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    try mo lagyan ng STOP LEAK di ko sure brand nya pero parang STP...this will change some how your engine to pro long it's over haul period, mura lang yan around 250 to 300 pesos...or mas mura sa mga auto shop na tindahan, kasi nung bumili ako ay sa mall ko nakuha........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Engine eating up oil