New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Hi mga sirs!

I have decided to go full restore mode on my pre-loved EE90 instead of buying a new one. She had her 2E overhauled in 2006 and i wanted to give her more longevity and so, I want to have a new engine for her.

Im currently torn between 4efte or a 4afe, Ill make that decision once funds are avail in a few months. I just need a second opinion on what I was quoted by a top of the line and well respected tuner in banawe.

The owner said I would need anywhere between 150k- 250k because of:

1. Engine and Tranny Price
    2. Gas Tank Change - He said Gas tank of a carburetor engine is different from EFI. Is this true?
    3. Fuel Line -- since we have a different gas tank, we have to redo the whole fuel line as well, including exhaust and wastegate if im going to go for turbo. I agree for the wastegate but is the fuel line change necessary? I dont have a clue about the fuel pump of an EFI and how it works
    4. Clutch and Brake Assembly will change to accomodate power change
    5. Suspension check and change as necessary as the new power unit and tranny will be heavier than the stock 2E
    6. Radiator and cooling line change as needed - I have huge ass radiator and aux fan to boot so I know this wont be a problem

Your thoughts?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    150K is just right for 4efte. but why 4efte? you're into need for speed? just kidding

1. Engine and Tranny
    4efte = 60K to 70K with tranny and install but if you're on a tight budget, you can reuse your old tranny and the good part is, its a direct bolt on to your chasis.
    4afe = more or less 50K with tranny and install, it needs a different engine support and its not bolt on.

2. for EE90 or AE92, it needs to be changed to an EFI gas tank, good mechanics can convert it to EFI, going rate for a surplus EFI tank would be 6500 to 8500 and its rare.

3. fuel lines? no need to change.

4. clutch and brake assembly, no need to change, but if you have the budget, you can change it. if you're eyeing for the 4efte, i would suggest to get levin big disk up front with good brake pads. more or less 3500 for the levin brakes

5. suspension? no need to change. good brakes are better.

6. radiator? no need to change.

the life of an EFI engine is in its wiring and sensors. source a good mechanic to do the engine change.

for me, if you are not into speed and the car's main purpose is to go from A to B, you can add to your options the 5efe, its a direct bolt on same with the 4efte but its a 1.5L engine. good low end torque. find the 3rd gen, its the most fuel efficient one.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Why the 4efte? For the same reason you said. Its a bolt on. The deciding factor is the turbo. Gusto ko dn maramdaman pakiramdam ng may extra umpf! Hahaha

Thanks pala sa input sir. Ill also check the 5efe. I know a placd or three sa paranaque that i think can quote me something lower haha.

While we are at it, the well respected tuner from banawe also told me the whole transplant will take 3 months. Tama ba un?

Samsung N9005 powered by Smart posted using tsikot mobile app

4. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    naku paps. sorry to say pero 3 months? sobrang tagal nun.

an experienced mechanic can do the transplant in 1 day. even faster if the wiring harness of the engine you bought have no cuts and/or missing or defective sensors.

if you can't source out an EFI gas tank for your small body corolla, you can still use your old tank but be sure not to drive hard when your fuel is the below 1/4 mark, you will experience fuel starvation, lalo na kung high cornering speed, your engine will shut off or lose power due to less fuel supplied in your engine. hindi kasi baffled ang carb gas tank ng small body.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Koya She of SB salon is quite popular in toyota forums before. I have no experience with him but reviews years ago were really positive. He is into running now so i am not sure if he still swap engines on a regular basis. Look him up in fb.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 2

6. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post
    Koya She of SB salon is quite popular in toyota forums before. I have no experience with him but reviews years ago were really positive. He is into running now so i am not sure if he still swap engines on a regular basis. Look him up in fb.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 2
    Uu ive heard of sb salon before. If were talking about the same thing, ito yung shop sa cavite right?

Quote Originally Posted by innova2013 View Post
    naku paps. sorry to say pero 3 months? sobrang tagal nun.

an experienced mechanic can do the transplant in 1 day. even faster if the wiring harness of the engine you bought have no cuts and/or missing or defective sensors.

if you can't source out an EFI gas tank for your small body corolla, you can still use your old tank but be sure not to drive hard when your fuel is the below 1/4 mark, you will experience fuel starvation, lalo na kung high cornering speed, your engine will shut off or lose power due to less fuel supplied in your engine. hindi kasi baffled ang carb gas tank ng small body.
    Thanks sa info sir! Nasabi dn nga nung owner nung famous and well respected tuner shop from banawe (sorry dont want to name names) that there is a cheap ass way of doing it, which is this way, not changing fuel tanks or replace the fuel tank which is my option actually.

So matagal pala 3 months hahah. Kaso kasama na daw dun ang paghanap ng engine, tranny then install then making sure tip top running condition... pero thanks pa dn sa info. At least i have a baseline kung what goes on for a change

Samsung N9005 powered by Smart posted using tsikot mobile app

7. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    tama sabi ni Lew_Alcindor.

Si kuya Sherwin or She for short of SB Salon. Wala na akong contact number niya, taga Gen. Trias Cavite siya.

Isang malupit na mekaniko. He can help you to source out your desired engine of choice.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by innova2013 View Post
    tama sabi ni Lew_Alcindor.

Si kuya Sherwin or She for short of SB Salon. Wala na akong contact number niya, taga Gen. Trias Cavite siya.

Isang malupit na mekaniko. He can help you to source out your desired engine of choice.
    un nga! ung sa gen tri! sana meron pang may contact number nya... at sana maligaw siya sa thread ko hahahh

9. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    paps, mukhang active pa siya sa pag change engine. message mo siya sa facebook. "koya she Sbsalon" search mo lang.

goodluck sa project.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Sherwin (SB Salon) - 09178818580. He made two engine swaps for me. Wiring is OEM. You will never go wrong with him. HTH.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast