New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    engine braking say 2500 rpm and acceleration with same rpm. do they consume equal amount of fuel? thanks
    Last edited by XTO; January 18th, 2006 at 03:43 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    accelerating uses up more fuel but use engine braking sparingly, brake pads are much cheaper than engine parts hehe.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    brake mainly with your pedal.

support lang ang engine brake, imho.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by xto
    engine braking say 2500 rpm and acceleration with same rpm. do they consume equal amount of fuel? thanks
    Sa old school diesel engine that uses injection pump, palagay ko pareho nga kasi ang dami ng fuel ay depende sa rotation ng injection pump.

Pero mas mainam pa ring iwasan ang engine braking depende na lang kung talagang kailangan like long down hill or nawalan ka ng preno.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    Sa old school diesel engine that uses injection pump, palagay ko pareho nga kasi ang dami ng fuel ay depende sa rotation ng injection pump.

Pero mas mainam pa ring iwasan ang engine braking depende na lang kung talagang kailangan like long down hill or nawalan ka ng preno.
    Engine Braking is good When you are in down hill.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    As long as you keep the rpms low the fuel consumption shouldnt be much different IMO... was basing this on our car with a VDO gas flow meter before (sayang can't find those anymore).

I'd go with Glenn says, brake mainly with the brakes pedal but keep the engine in gear with some rpm to assist the brakes (since the engine provides vacuum for the brakes).

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    ? nakakatipid nga ba ng fuel yun?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    question lang ... how bout sa highway? do you always keep your foot on the gas pedal? ako kasi pag nasa past 100kph na ko i just lift my foot to slow down back to the legal speed limit. that's engine braking di ba? madalas ko gawin un pag nasa highway ako eh ... kasi ayaw kong palagi nasa gas pedal paa ko.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by geode
    question lang ... how bout sa highway? do you always keep your foot on the gas pedal? ako kasi pag nasa past 100kph na ko i just lift my foot to slow down back to the legal speed limit. that's engine braking di ba? madalas ko gawin un pag nasa highway ako eh ... kasi ayaw kong palagi nasa gas pedal paa ko.
    The best way of cruising down a highway is to maintain a constant 80-100kph (generally the cruising speed that gives best economy). Acceleration uses up fuel, and decelerating just throws away any kinetic energy you use during acceleration. In other words, maintaining a constant speed is good for your pocket!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker

thanks, same analysis too. fuel is burned everytime there's a revolution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
engine braking fuel consumption