New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Anyone tried this? Feedback on the performance, pros and cons? For 1K, seems cheap enough to try?

2. Join Date
    May 2011
    sounds scam to me

OBD is used for car diagnostics and not for tuning IMO

so I did a quick google EcoOBD2 and nitroOBD2 ( Good or Bad )
    Last edited by xninjax; January 14th, 2016 at 02:35 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by airolynx View Post
    Anyone tried this? Feedback on the performance, pros and cons? For 1K, seems cheap enough to try?
    Why waste money?

That thing costs even LESS than the cheapest OBDII readers... readers which can't even write to the ECU or analyze data, and which must be connected to a laptop or smartphone to do anything.

If it sounds too good to be true...

-

First off, you'll need an OBDII compatible car. If you're driving a Lynx, as your forum nick suggests, the Lynx doesn't have an OBDII port.

Secondly, not all OBDII-equipped cars have the same firmware. Just because you can read DTC Codes and general data such as injector cycles, rpm and temperatures via OBDII with something like a ScanGauge (which, despite being universal, also does not work on all cars), doesn't mean you can write data to them all in the same way. And some have proprietary security built in that requires special tools to crack before you can rewrite the engine maps (the Nissan GTR comes to mind).

-----

It is possible to have a "universal" device for diesels... these simply either change the fuel pump pressure (higher pressure, more power) or overdrive the injectors. These cost around 10-15k.

A universal device for gasoline is more difficult, as engine parameters for different gasoline cars are all over the place. You can spoof the O2 sensor to possible lock it into power enrichment mode at all times and keep it out of low-emissions "lean mode", but you'd need to dig into the ECU for that. A simpler way would be to spoof the intake air temp sensor, as giving a false "warm" reading will keep things reasonably lean and economical ("hot" will make it run rich, however, and you'd have to find out what each car considers rich!) while a false "cold" reading will convince the ECU to advance timing and enrich the air-fuel mixture, making it run more powerfully.

But the claim that it adjusts boost pressure, fuelling maps and timing on the fly? That's patently BS.

-----

Of course, you'd need a tuning box that actually... well... does something. Looking at the FB page, the most they can claim is a 2hp difference.

Errh... I could get you 2 hp by changing your oil and cleaning your air filter. Or if you'd like, I can design you a hybrid CAI/SRI intake that will net you 5-10 hp. It will cost much more than 1k, but you're getting what you pay for.

-----

TL;DR: Save your money. Or save up for a real tuning chip.
    Last edited by niky; January 14th, 2016 at 02:55 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Why waste money?

That thing costs even LESS than the cheapest OBDII readers... readers which can't even write to the ECU or analyze data, and which must be connected to a laptop or smartphone to do anything.

If it sounds too good to be true...

-

First off, you'll need an OBDII compatible car. If you're driving a Lynx, as your forum nick suggests, the Lynx doesn't have an OBDII port.

Secondly, not all OBDII-equipped cars have the same firmware. Just because you can read DTC Codes and general data such as injector cycles, rpm and temperatures via OBDII with something like a ScanGauge (which, despite being universal, also does not work on all cars), doesn't mean you can write data to them all in the same way. And some have proprietary security built in that requires special tools to crack before you can rewrite the engine maps (the Nissan GTR comes to mind).

-----

It is possible to have a "universal" device for diesels... these simply either change the fuel pump pressure (higher pressure, more power) or overdrive the injectors. These cost around 10-15k.

A universal device for gasoline is more difficult, as engine parameters for different gasoline cars are all over the place. You can spoof the O2 sensor to possible lock it into power enrichment mode at all times and keep it out of low-emissions "lean mode", but you'd need to dig into the ECU for that. A simpler way would be to spoof the intake air temp sensor, as giving a false "warm" reading will keep things reasonably lean and economical ("hot" will make it run rich, however, and you'd have to find out what each car considers rich!) while a false "cold" reading will convince the ECU to advance timing and enrich the air-fuel mixture, making it run more powerfully.

But the claim that it adjusts boost pressure, fuelling maps and timing on the fly? That's patently BS.

-----

Of course, you'd need a tuning box that actually... well... does something. Looking at the FB page, the most they can claim is a 2hp difference.

Errh... I could get you 2 hp by changing your oil and cleaning your air filter. Or if you'd like, I can design you a hybrid CAI/SRI intake that will net you 5-10 hp. It will cost much more than 1k, but you're getting what you pay for.

-----

TL;DR: Save your money. Or save up for a real tuning chip.
    Thanks sir Niky! That is the explanation I've been looking for all over the net but could not find any. So, I'll take your advice and pass and not buy this. Oh, and I don't drive a Lynx. My forum nickname was just coincidental

As usual, it is always great to hear from experts like you - it all makes sense now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xninjax View Post
    sounds scam to me

OBD is used for car diagnostics and not for tuning IMO

so I did a quick google EcoOBD2 and nitroOBD2 ( Good or Bad )
    Seems so. Niky nailed it.