New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    guys, i was just wondering kung bakit mysteriously nauubos ang gas ko during cold start. hindi naman sya namamatay. hinahayaan ko lang for 30-60 seconds na mag-warmup. what im doing right now is inaalalayan ko nalang ng pag press ng accelerator, kasi bumababa yung idling nya on cold start, so to maintain it to 1000rpm, i press the accelerator. yun na ang warm-up ko for 30-60 seconds. in that way, hindi nawawala bigla ang gas. pero there are just instances na kahit ganun ginagawa ko, bigla paring nauubos. hindi ko na alam kung ano talaga ang cause so im suspecting the oil. iniisip ko kasi na baka hindi kaagad nakakapag spread ang oil inside the engine, kaya ginagamit ang gas bilang lubricant, posible kaya to? ano ba dapat gawin para madistribute muna ang oil throughout the engine before starting it?
    Last edited by ravelcop; May 5th, 2005 at 10:39 AM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Cold starts really consume more fuel, as more energy is required to warm up the engine. Also, if your oil is thicker, the harder your engine parts can move, so more effort and more energy, hence less efficient.

And one word of advice, you really don't have to warm up your car at the start of the day, unless you have to drive uphill immediately or living in a cold country. You can drive at a steady pace after starting. If you're driving a manual car, do not shift too quickly up until the engine reaches its normal operating temperatures. ;)

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    If you're driving a manual car, do not shift too quickly up until the engine reaches its normal operating temperatures. ;)
    thanks squala,

would it hasten the distribution of oil kung i-rerev up ko sya to a higher rpm like 2000rpm?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dont' race your engine from a cold start. Remember, cold engine=higher fuel consumption, more engine wear, so-so performance.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by afrasay
    Dont' race your engine from a cold start. Remember, cold engine=higher fuel consumption, more engine wear, so-so performance.
    actually, what i mean is rev it up while naka nuetral lang. but is there any way where we could hasten the warm-up? pag mainit na ba ang engine, it means the oil has already made its way through?

Does oil affect fuel consumption during cold start?