New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    I ran my Toyota Innova Diesel with Mineral oil for 7,000+ kilometers. ODO= 47k.

Now i am planning to do a change oil to Fully Synthetic Shell Helix.

Question: Do i still need to do Engine FLushing to clear out the mineral oil remnants, before replacing it with Fully Synthetic ??

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    No need if you regularly change oil. If you missed 2 change oil intervals maybe you need to flush.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Nope. Just change oil. Actually baka nga magkaleak pa engine.mo kapag natanggal yung varnish buildup kapag nag flush ka pa.

IMO, stick to mineral oil and replace every 5k. Same cost, plus your engine gets fresh oil parati.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Also only two engine flushes i know are ok. Liquimoly and motul. Same bottle but that motul is 900 pesos lol. I can get the liquimoly for 300 pesos only.

Be careful with other flushes.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    sometimes, a flush (in the event na effective nga ang flush) will break down sludge and contaminants in an engine very quickly. thats bad kasi kung masyado malaki ang "chunks" of dirt na matatanggal baka magkabara ang system. especially in modern cars with complex systems and turbo chargers...

also, theres no harm in mixing mineral and synthetic oil... kung meron nga semi-synthetic eh..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkosero View Post
    IMO, stick to mineral oil and replace every 5k. Same cost, plus your engine gets fresh oil parati.

well if you use synthetic oil and change it at the right interval, you could call it fresh in a way...

since synthetic oil lasts longer because the oil does not break down due to heat and contaminants as fast as conventional oil, you could still call it "fresh" as long as the oil is not breaking down yet.
    synthetic oil just stays "fresh" longer than conventional does in short...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    No, just change the oil.

If you're too OC about it, let the old oil drain overnight.

Then refill.

If you plan on running extended oil change intervals, then synthetic is okay for you. But if you change your oil every 5k on mileage, then you're just throwing away good money.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkosero View Post
    Nope. Just change oil. Actually baka nga magkaleak pa engine.mo kapag natanggal yung varnish buildup kapag nag flush ka pa.

For a 47k old engine i doubt the a leak will occur.

Also chunks? Its practically a new engine.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    I usually buy the cheapest shell R1(600petot for 4liters) oil and run it for 20-30mins then drain saka ko lagay ung shell helix ultra/motul crdi(change every 8-10T kms.) So in a way, ung R1 ang flushing ko. Been doing this since engine reached 100T++ kms and out na sa casa. 11years and close to 300T Kms. after, smooth running engine pa rin. No smoke. Getting same hatak + same F.C. 13km/L slow pace trapik, 19 fast pace highway.

Still running on orig turbo, timing chain, cams, etc. Zero oil leaks, engine is basically untouched.

Clutch kit, serpentine belts, MAF sensor, EGR Valve(no egr blanking or catch cans used, i trust hyundai engrs. design LOL) , VGT solenoid, Power steering low pressure hose, alternator, clutch slave, A/C compressor and rad hoses lang napalitan ko so far BUT those are not related to engine oil maintenance obviously..

Do i need Engine Flushing when switching from Mineral to Synthetic ?