New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    What can happen if I install a spark plug with 1.1 spark gap when my car's manual recommends a 0.8 spark gap? My second hand Vios 1.5G had 1.1 spark plugs installed (last tune up when bought was Shell service station) so when I had it tuned up recently, they also installed 1.1

I've been driving it for a year and it runs smoothly naman, except that it feels a bit underpowered at times. I'm also concerned about long term effects of a wrong sized spark gap, if any.

TIA!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bombitmd View Post
    What can happen if I install a spark plug with 1.1 spark gap when my car's manual recommends a 0.8 spark gap? My second hand Vios 1.5G had 1.1 spark plugs installed (last tune up when bought was Shell service station) so when I had it tuned up recently, they also installed 1.1

I've been driving it for a year and it runs smoothly naman, except that it feels a bit underpowered at times. I'm also concerned about long term effects of a wrong sized spark gap, if any.

TIA!
    Vios 1.5G with 1NZ-FE engine? The spark plug's gap specs is really 1.1 mm.(both Denso and NGK), and not .08mm.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arch_auto View Post
    Vios 1.5G with 1NZ-FE engine? The spark plug's gap specs is really 1.1 mm.(both Denso and NGK), and not .08mm.
    Arch, where'd you find that info? The car's manual states 1NZ-FE engine's is 0.8 mm spark gap (p.161) Well, either way, would you know if what would happen if we used a different gap size for the engine?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bombitmd View Post
    Arch, where'd you find that info? The car's manual states 1NZ-FE engine's is 0.8 mm spark gap (p.161) Well, either way, would you know if what would happen if we used a different gap size for the engine?

Different spark plug gap size from the manufacturer's specs will cause premature wear of the electrodes, causes misfires, early fouling.

I got the info from the Service Manual (not Owners Manual) of 2007 Yaris with 1NZ-FE engine (same like yours). Also if your plug is NGK BKR5EYA-11, the last numbers corresponds to the gap of the plug.

0.8 mm spark plug is also used by Toyota for the 1NZ-FE. Follow this link for the explanation. http://myviosjournal.blogspot.com/20...ark-plugs.html

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Ok, thanks a lot! Read the article, too, thanks! At least I don't have to change spark plugs :P

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    large gap means smoother idle but may misfire in higher rpm.

Different spark gaps