New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Diesel Engine Oil Specification Database was split into 2 threads. Here are their links:

http://www.pinoyforums.com/~tsikot/f...&threadid=4985

http://www.pinoyforums.com/~tsikot/f...&threadid=7595

2. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    turk182
    The viscosity range interpretation you mentioned is true as a basic guide for mineral oils but there are differences. Most synthetic oils can be used as an all season oil, ie, from 5w40/ 10w30/ 5w30/ 5w50 while mineral oils have their limits due to their stability under temp extremes.

To better appreciate the characteristics of an oil, you'll have to refer to the product's spec sheet for kinetic viscosity at 40C/ 100C, viscosoty index, shear strength, pour point, etc. A 15w40 oil has a lower viscosity at 40C but may have ample viscosity at 100C vs a 20w40 oil. A lot of engine wear also happens at start up, thus the importance of the lower viscosity rating since this shows how easily the oil flows when cold- have you ever asked what viscosity nissan used as the initial-fill oil on the patrol? Chances are they used a thinner oil to aid break-in.

On API. I would find out what specific spec of a CF4 oil is required by the engine manufacturer then search the oil data sheets for the same spec in an alternative oil. Most japan diesel engines prefer high TBN to protect from valve stem wear.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nice info.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    based on the Diesel Engine Oil Specification Database thread in this forum, i have narrowed down my choices to these 2 oils:

Oil Name : Shell Helix Diesel Super
    Blend : Mineral
    Rating : API CF/SJ
    Viscosity : 15W-40
    Retail Price : P165.00 per liter
    Recommended for what types of Diesel Ride: All including gasoline

Oil Name : Castrol CRD Plus
    Blend : Mineral
    Rating : API CF-4 (upgraded from previous CF)
    Viscosity : 20W-40
    Retail Price : P130.00
    Recommended for what types of Diesel Ride: Pajero, Trooper, LC, etc...

I can't seem to find an oil which is both CF-4 and 15w40.... Which of these two is better suited for my '03 Patrol (ZD30DDTic)?

I'm planning to do my 1K PMS early next week...Thanks for all your help...
    Last edited by turk182; October 26th, 2003 at 01:17 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Any of the two you mentioned above will be good for your ride.

6. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    A thread in another site has a similar discussion on the prohibition of the use of an engine oil with an API rating higher than CF/CF-4 in a Nissan diesel engine. This could help explain this amazing Nissan directive.:confused:

Here is the topic

It's good to be back......

7. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    turk182
    Taken from the lubricant recommendations of the oil manuf site in australia for Nissan patrol GU, ZD30 engine:

1) Mobil
    Mobil Delvac 1330 SAE30
    Mobil Delvac MX 15w40
    2) Castrol
    CASTROL GTD SAE 15W-40
    CASTROL MAGNATEC SAE 10w40
    CASTROL GTX3 SAE 15W-40, API SL/CF *
    CASTROL RX SUPER SAE 15W-40, API CH-4/SJ
    3) Shell
    Shell Helix Diesel Super 15w40 CF
    RIMULA D 15W-40
    RIMULA X 15W-40
    4) Caltex
    HAVOLINE PREMIUM (20W-50, SL/CF)
    Caltex note: Do NOT use API CG-4 type oils.

Which one will you choose?:confused:

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    jackaroo
    hmm... really depends on which of these oils are available locally...

i've already checked the Mobil Delvac MX but it goes beyond the CF-4 rating since it also rated at CG-4 and CH-4... As for the Castrol Magnatec, I think the 10w40 viscosity rating is already too low for Phil. conditions although for Australia it would be fine...

looks like i'll be getting the Shell Helix Diesel Super since it is locally available as well as it being included in the list of recommended lubricants for the ZD30 Nissan Patrol...

Thank you very much for your help and likewise for the others here who contributed to my inquiry...

I'm really glad that I decided to join these forums... :D

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    scanner, thanks man! pero sobrang layo ko taga nova ako. hehe.

mineral ang helix diesel ?

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    yep, it's mineral... synthetic oil is prohibited for the ZD30 Nissan Patrol...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Which Diesel Engine Oil...