New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My 1999 CRV developed a hard to start problem. In the morning, it will take 7-10 seconds of cranking before the engine starts. Lots of sputtering and coughing, and I have to keep pressure on the gas pedal or it won't start. If this were a car with a carburettor, I'd say fuel starvation problems. But it is of course fuel injected. Once the engine catches, it behaves perfectly fine. My battery is very strong, only 3 months old. Cranking speed is normal. If the engine is still warm, there are no starting problems. If 4 hours or more have passed since I turned it off, and therefore engine is cold, the starting problems are there. I have tried resetting the engine computer by disconnecting the battery overnight. Still no dice. Any ideas, guys?

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Sounds like your CRV still in top condition only that the carburetor it gets sticky with varnish from fuel vapor. It is best to take the air cleaner housing off to clean the carb linkage with cleaner or a gumout spray (watch your eyes--the stuff burns like hell). Start your engine, crack the throttle lever slightly and wiggle while spraying the choke plate back and forth to work the. You must rev up the engine as it may stall while doing it. After you finiish let dry and use a light weight oil to work into the linkage to keep it from getting sticky. ( a dropper with ATF works great as it stays free from gummy heavier oil). Once that is done, the choke should open and close properly (even in cold) when the throttle is tipped on, setting the choke and allowing the car to start and run easier. Good Luck!

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    if you haven't done the throttle body service , do it first and observe .

if still won't fire up the way it should be , you may consider bringing the vehicle to your trusted shop for further diagnostics

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    *v6dreamer
    uhhh,it's fuel injected,no carb.

*bambino
    What should the throttlebody service involve? I want to do it myself.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    *v6dreamer

*bambino

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by berniedd View Post
    *v6dreamer

*bambino
    for TB cleaning you need to remove the intake hose that connects the air filter to the carb, pag natangal mo na yan kita mo na yung butterfly. dito pa lang makikita mo na yung itim na nakapaligid. you need to prepare 2 canisters of carb cleaner para sigurado. dapat after the process makita mo ulit yung metal at wala na yung itim itim. ganito kasi ginawa sa ek ko, kaya next time ako na rin ang gagawa.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Im assuming that your car is carburated since you never mention anything,but 99 CRV.

I would check the fuel pressure in the morning before starting it up. Low fuel pressure could cause the problem you are describing, it may be a problem with the pump generating enough pressure at startup, or the filter is clogged. Change the filter and see if that helps, if not, have your fuel pressure checked at start up.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    berniedd, my 2000 crv do have exactly the same problem you are encountering and did post the same problem. last week, brought it to my trusted mechanic. no offence on the above, he replaced the gas filter and pump with totally brand new. The cost was way above my expectation but i really won't mind if it was the solution. In fairness, when i took back my car
    from the shop in an early morning to make sure it has a cold engine, wow it was one click without even stepping on the pedal. the sad note is it worked only for 4 days. over the weekend, it's back to a hard starting.

appreciate if you can share the result of the TB cleaning.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    simple lang ang throttle body service ,

buy an AIR INTAKE CLEANER and you can use an old tooth brush to clean the body and throttle .

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by macsd View Post
    berniedd, my 2000 crv do have exactly the same problem you are encountering and did post the same problem. last week, brought it to my trusted mechanic. no offence on the above, he replaced the gas filter and pump with totally brand new. The cost was way above my expectation but i really won't mind if it was the solution. In fairness, when i took back my car
    from the shop in an early morning to make sure it has a cold engine, wow it was one click without even stepping on the pedal. the sad note is it worked only for 4 days. over the weekend, it's back to a hard starting.

appreciate if you can share the result of the TB cleaning.

Have you changed the spark plugs since 2000? If not, that could be the problem. Spark plugs should be change 30,000 miles and no more than 35,000 mi. Also make sure there is no acid build up around your battery cables.

Are you sure they have changed the pump? If so, why things came up again after 4 days. Could be a wrong diagnosis? Did he remove the outlet fuel hose and place a fuel pressure gauge there? All 1986 an up it should read 13.5 psi to 15.5 psi.... it can be different psi depend on the engine size and brand of the car.
    To me it seem's like they only clean your plug and change the fuel filter for a quick fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
CRV 1999 hard starting, what should I look into?