New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Pasali po ako dito sa thread na to....although I have no significant experience yet on crdi engines because my ride has just 11k on it.

Thanks for starting this thread Sir Drey.
    Im sure this will be a very great source of information for us crdi owners.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    with regards to maintenance i think its the same, i have a diesel fed mitsubishi adventure and hyundai matrix... with regards to the DIY PMS, i think anyone have the proper skills and knowledge can do it. change oil, change oil filter, change air filter, etc... how hard can it be? but for me, i just let the professional do the maintenance work, because i don't have the time to tinker with my car and i don't want my hand/clothing soiled with oil, grease and dirt... arte noh...

to each his own...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Hi 4JGtootsie,

My question to everyone is why are CRDi more powerful than conventional diesel fuel systems with the same displacement? Listed below are some re
    1. Pup2 is correct about improved fuel automization due to the extreme injection pressures. Whereas traditional diesels inject fuel at 100 - 250 bar, common rail engines may inject fuel at 1600 bar (about 23000 psi). Finer fuel particles are easier to ignite than large droplets.
    2. Since CR injectors are electronically controlled by the ECU, multiple injections may occur at one injection cycle, and injection timing can also be rapidly altered to suit various speed and load conditions.
    3. And many more.....
    Does the added power and fuel efficiency come at a really high price in the long run? That's the way it seems for now. For example, some common rail injectors cannot be repaired as parts are not yet available, and service data have not been released by the factory. But this will defenitely improve in time.

Can CRDi engines last as long as the old diesel engines?
    We don't know this. In time, we will find out....

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Thanks pup2.
    Another question to everybody.
    Who was the second car manufacturer in the Philippines to sell CRDis. And how is this engine fairing?
    First to come out was Hyundai's Starex.

Next was Toyota with their Innovas, Fortuners, Hi Lux, and Hi Ace.

Isuzu's Alterra is also common rail. I'm not sure about the new D Max.

Mitsubishi's new pick-up and Pajeros are common rail too.

Kia's Sorrento and Sportage are CR diesels.

Hyundai's Santa Fe, Tucson, Matrix, and Gets are also CR.

Ford Ranger, Everest, and Focus too.

That's the trend, and everybody's joining the bandwagon. It is for this reason that we have to understand CRDIs.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Sana nga maganda mga CRDI pag tumagal...

Kasi yung mga dating diesel pag after 10 years parang pangit na takbo....

Never pa kami bumili ng diesel na sasakyan

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Gusto ko rin na kasi ng Common Rail engine honestly. but scared...

Anyway, what happens of the ECU gets busted? Will the CR injectors work properly? May fail safe system kaya ito?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
    First to come out was Hyundai's Starex.

Next was Toyota with their Innovas, Fortuners, Hi Lux, and Hi Ace.

Isuzu's Alterra is also common rail. I'm not sure about the new D Max.

Mitsubishi's new pick-up and Pajeros are common rail too.

Kia's Sorrento and Sportage are CR diesels.

Hyundai's Santa Fe, Tucson, Matrix, and Gets are also CR.

Ford Ranger, Everest, and Focus too.

That's the trend, and everybody's joining the bandwagon. It is for this reason that we have to understand CRDIs.
    Ang alam kong pinakaunang car brand na may CRDi ay Isuzu with their Trooper, since between 2002-2003 pa, then sumunod BMW with the diesel X5 noong 2004 yata then Mercedes Benz with the M-Class 270CDI noong 2004 din yata then Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Audi, Mitsubishi, Ford, Volvo, and newcomer Nissan.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Hi Drey,

Anyway, what happens of the ECU gets busted? Will the CR injectors work properly? May fail safe system kaya ito?[/quote]

A totally dead ECU will not allow the engine to start at all.
    We have seen ECUs with partial failure though. Engine may start but can be driven at limp home mode only. ECU will have to be replaced though.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    That is what I know the 4JX1 as early as 2000 model. The first kaya the 2nd na lang ang tinanong ko for obvious reasons.

Siemens/VDO are also making there name in CRDi and electronic fuel delivery systems. With this competition with Bosch and other oems we can see where diesel engines are going and going fast.

I am really eyeing the VM Motori 3Liter CRD for replacement engines for the trouble riddled trooper with a 4JX1 mill. Any comments or reaction? Just a dream that might come true.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    [quote=4JGtootsie;986116]That is what I know the 4JX1 as early as 2000 model. The first kaya the 2nd na lang ang tinanong ko for obvious reasons.
    Isuzu Trooper uses an entirely different common rail system as those we see on current vehicle models.

Siemens/VDO are also making there name in CRDi and electronic fuel delivery systems. With this competition with Bosch and other oems we can see where diesel engines are going and going fast. Major common rail players are Bosch, Denso, Delphi, and Siemens. They are all here in the market, installed and running on various CR diesels.

I am really eyeing the VM Motori 3Liter CRD for replacement engines for the trouble riddled trooper with a 4JX1 mill. Any comments or reaction? This idea will be fraught with problems. Best thing to do is to study the 4JX1's problems, evaluate the situation for possible improvements / modifications, and try them out on 2terns' project. You may need some inputs from Isuzu though. If successful, you will make a lot of people happy while earning good bucks. How does this sound?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
CRDi Maintenance Questions & Other Discussions [Thread]