New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Since my belief says CRDi's are hard to maintain, and not so good in the long run compared to conventional diesel engines.

Let's discuss things here that can help CRDi people on maintaining their engines with their own hands just like what other people do in conventional "old school" engines. This thread will also serve as an aid to CRDi owners of 3 years or more.

I hope you'll support this thread.

I have a few questions to ask myself.
    1) Can you do your own regular PMS at home with CRDi engines? Given with complete tools of course.
    2) ...
    iam3739.com

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Price range ng mga filters (oil, and air) ng mga crdi’s. very essential kasi ang mga ito at ilan ang oil capacity ng 2.2 – 3.0 crdi engines?

baka balang araw magka crdi na rin ako thanks..

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    PMS? If it's just oil and filter changes, yes, of course... but that invalidates the warranty, and if the warranty includes the injectors, you don't want to do that.

From people I've talked to and from what I've heard, CRDi injector replacement or cleaning can happen anywhere between 100,000 to 160,000 kilometers, unless you have the infamous D4D issue, which can strike as early as 20,000 to 40,000 kms. (so far, apart from ion tsikot, I've only met one or two owners who have this)

Injectors are supposedly a 30,000 peso item, but I'm not sure about this. I'll take my Dad's Starex to Hyundai and check this out. It takes two or three clicks to start nowadays, but I'm not sure if it's a fuel thing or a battery thing... it drove just fine when we borrowed it, but the large amounts of provincial-grade diesel that go through the tank (Cavite, Batangas, Pangasinan, etcetera) can't be good for the injectors.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    .. it drove just fine when we borrowed it, but the large amounts of provincial-grade diesel that go through the tank (Cavite, Batangas, Pangasinan, etcetera) can't be good for the injectors.
    You might have inadvertently loaded fuel at a station that is prone to flooding. I can vouch for the Petron stations in Dagupan, Urdaneta and Tarlac City though. My CRDI Starex almost always gets fuel from these four outlets and it has gone 75,000 km already without a problem.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Since my belief says CRDi's are hard to maintain, and not so good in the long run compared to conventional diesel engines. Anything we are not familiar with is difficult. In time, and through this thread, we can hopefully familiarize ourselves on CRDI (common rail diesel technology). I can help you guys as I've had my common rail training with Bosch in Germany. We have already seen these at our workshop, and have done tests & repairs on them.

Let's discuss things here that can help CRDi people on maintaining their engines with their own hands just like what other people do in conventional "old school" engines. This thread will also serve as an aid to CRDi owners of 3 years or more. I hope you'll support this thread. Yes we will, and I'm glad you started this off.

I have a few questions to ask myself.
    1) Can you do your own regular PMS at home with CRDi engines? Given with complete tools of course.
    I beleive we can, but in a limited way. PMS is quite a large field to discuss. We can do it slowly, one at a time. Do you have any specific question for now?

Great thread..... Bye,

Dieseldude

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I agree with Dieseldude. during the earlier years of EFI on gasoline engines people where hesitant to buy a vehicle with efi. Now wala na yatang hindi EFI na gas engine. CRDi I firmly believe will be accepted not by choice but as a must.

My question to everyone is why are CRDi more powerful than conventional diesel fuel systems with the same displacement?

Does the added power and fuel efficiency come at a really high price in the long run?

Can CRDi engines last as long as the old diesel engines?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    I agree with Dieseldude. during the earlier years of EFI on gasoline engines people where hesitant to buy a vehicle with efi. Now wala na yatang hindi EFI na gas engine. CRDi I firmly believe will be accepted not by choice but as a must.

My question to everyone is why are CRDi more powerful than conventional diesel fuel systems with the same displacement?

Does the added power and fuel efficiency come at a really high price in the long run?

Can CRDi engines last as long as the old diesel engines?
    Dahil mas mataas ang pressure pag inject ng diesel at mas pino ang atomization ng fuel pag ignite nito kaya mas malakas at mas efficient ang common rail, not to mention relatively less vibration and noise from being computer controlled. Whether it is as durable is another matter pero given time to sort out the bugs, palagay ko eventually it will be. Ewan ko nga lang kung kelan yuyng eventually ...
    Last edited by pup2; January 5th, 2008 at 04:29 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thanks pup2.
    Another question to everybody.
    Who was the second car manufacturer in the Philippines to sell CRDis. And how is this engine fairing?

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    CRDi are not only more powerful now but with the introduction of the VGT, Variable Geometry Turbine mas lumakas pa sila. Imagine a CRDi 2.5 turbo-intercooler with around 140-145hp and on it's generation now with a VGT it's packing nearly 180hp on stock with the same fuel displacement.

I even know of CRDi vehicles with VGT that is just 1.8- 2.0 liters but already packs 185hp.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    This is a very good thread for us, crdi vehicle owners.

I've noticed that since the introduction of the biodiesel blended fuel, there has been a noticeable change in my ride,medyo di maganda effect, particularly with regard to noise , vibration and smell of the exhaust, as compared when i was still using pure diesel , which i buy from only one gas station. I switched to another brand a few months back and the noise and vibration significantly decreased. Last week, i drove to baguio and on my way back, i was forced to gas up with another diesel brand worth P500 since there was no gas station I know along the way with the brand i am currently using . Sa toll gate pa lang, ramdam mo na agad na lumakas ang vibration, so nagpakarga agad ako ng full tank pagdaan ko dun sa usual na gas station ko, hoping na ma dilute yung other diesel brand na ipinakarga ko. Just this afternoon, eto na naman yung vibration (madami pa yung pina full tank ko) at napansin ko din na may white smoke na kaunti na lumalabas dun sa exhaust pipe.
    Try ko bukas na linisin yung air filter, or palitan na din although kapapalit lang nito, about 7K Km ago. By the way, my ride is a 3 1/2 tears old 2wd casa maintained tucson with almost 49K km reading, and i religiously follow the manual as regards its regular servicing. Hindi kaya dahil sa dirty fuel ito ?
    Last edited by totoybato; January 5th, 2008 at 10:53 PM.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
CRDi Maintenance Questions & Other Discussions [Thread]