New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I guess it would depend.

Honda doesn't make its own diesels... yet... it buys them from elsewhere. Toyota has some good D4Ds in Europe that it can't bring here because of fuel quality. Hyundai CRDis are nice and smooth, for the most part, if you take care of them...but apparently nobody is immune to poor diesel quality. I've seen BMWs smoke, I've seen Hyundais smoke, I've seen Toyotas (lots more though) smoke. Isuzu? Seems like no issues yet, but I've been hearing rumors of a recall regarding nozzle gaskets. But as this is eerily similar to the o-ring issue of the Trooper, it has a 50% chance of being hearsay based on Trooper horror stories and a 50% chance being true (as in Isuzu hasn't learned anything about gaskets in the intervening years...). Am still looking it up.

The most impressive diesel I've driven recently is the Focus TDCi... and that isn't even a Ford engine... it's derived from Peugeot. And BMW and Audi are famous for creating high-powered diesels (BMW's 2 liter diesel can be boosted to 200 bhp by simple chip tuning)... so I'd say... the Europeans win.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mschumacher View Post
    Which got a better CRDi engines? The japanese or the koreans?
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    the Europeans win.
    hindi talaga patatalo si niky

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I guess it would depend.

Honda doesn't make its own diesels... yet... it buys them from elsewhere. Toyota has some good D4Ds in Europe that it can't bring here because of fuel quality. Hyundai CRDis are nice and smooth, for the most part, if you take care of them...but apparently nobody is immune to poor diesel quality. I've seen BMWs smoke, I've seen Hyundais smoke, I've seen Toyotas (lots more though) smoke. Isuzu? Seems like no issues yet, but I've been hearing rumors of a recall regarding nozzle gaskets. But as this is eerily similar to the o-ring issue of the Trooper, it has a 50% chance of being hearsay based on Trooper horror stories and a 50% chance being true (as in Isuzu hasn't learned anything about gaskets in the intervening years...). Am still looking it up.

The most impressive diesel I've driven recently is the Focus TDCi... and that isn't even a Ford engine... it's derived from Peugeot. And BMW and Audi are famous for creating high-powered diesels (BMW's 2 liter diesel can be boosted to 200 bhp by simple chip tuning)... so I'd say... the Europeans win.

Kasali yata diyan yung admittedly older MB-Tech Ssangyong Stavic ko! Pero I agree with you again, darnit. hahaha!

Pero mabuti may nag submit sa akin ng pic on how to improve my Stavic's looks though, the sidemirror snatchers are giving me disgusted looks ...
    Last edited by pup2; February 27th, 2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: insert joke

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    BMW's 2 liter diesel can be boosted to 200 bhp by simple chip tuning
    That reminds me the new BMW 123d uses a 204PS 2.0 liter Variable Twin Turbo common rail diesel engine that produces 400Nm of torque.

In the RP, the top 1-series is the 2008 120d Sport with a 177PS 2.0 liter common rail diesel engine that produces 350Nm of torque.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Very good engine, that one. Kevin Limjoco did a 5-second burnout (damn fool turned the traction control off) at Macapagal yesterday in a 120d

Doesn't feel as epically quick as the Focus TDCi, simply because the powerband is more linear and it's an automatic, but it's still a damn quick car. In fact, it was much quicker down the road than the 325i Coupe we had at the same time, despite not sounding anywhere near as good.

Handles terrific, too, and has brakes like nobody's business. I can't wait to get a tester and see what it can do against the Focus TDCi on a twisty road. I'm pretty sure my dad will lend his TDCi for that test...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I would say in your market the Koreans got it right on the Newer Starex, With its 2.5DOHC 16 valve commonrail direct injection with variable geometry turbo 174 horsepower and 402 nm of torque make it the one of the strongest in a passenger vehicle there that I know of. Even the Fortuner falls short with the 3.0 1KD-FTV Diesel models which have 163HP and 363 nm of torque and has a larger displacement.

Why a 3.0 is making less power then a 2.5 liter engine?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by silicon View Post
    cguro koreans... wondering why japan's no. 2 car manufacturer, Honda, has no crdi models....
    Hindi specialty ng Honda ang diesel sir, kaya wala sila nun.

However, mukhang mas maganda ang Common Rail ng Koreans. Hyundai's Starex, Sta Fe, Vera Cruz, Accent, Elentra, Getz, Tucson, Kia's Sorento, Sportage, Carens, Carnival, etc.
    These engine on these cars are very very powerful and fuel economy is very good!

Pagdating sa Japanese, Toyota's Fortuner, Hilux, Grandia medyo di maganda. Lakas parin kumain ng diesel, maingay parin engine, di ganon kalakas engine para sa body nila.

Isuzu's Trooper medyo di pa masyado succesful BUT the Alterra and Dmax's engines are way way better than the trooper's.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    so how did the european CRDi's fare here ba. I have seen a tuareg with TDCi sa likod and some BMWs. if they can survive here, then ok din ang europeans.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dvldoc View Post
    I would say in your market the Koreans got it right on the Newer Starex, With its 2.5DOHC 16 valve commonrail direct injection with variable geometry turbo 174 horsepower and 402 nm of torque make it the one of the strongest in a passenger vehicle there that I know of. Even the Fortuner falls short with the 3.0 1KD-FTV Diesel models which have 163HP and 363 nm of torque and has a larger displacement.

Why a 3.0 is making less power then a 2.5 liter engine?

i'd say because in thailand, they detuned the 1KD-FTV and the 2KD-FTV.. the 1KD-FTV in Europe and Australia (installed in the Prado and Hilux) has 173 hp and 410 Nm of torque as compared to the 163 hp and 343 Nm of torque here in ASEAN and Latin America.. the 2KD-FTV in Europe (engine of the Hilux and Hiace) has 120 hp and 325 Nm of torque, compared with the ASEAN and Latin America's very low 102 hp and 260 Nm of torque.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by numbah5 View Post
    i'd say because in thailand, they detuned the 1KD-FTV and the 2KD-FTV.. the 1KD-FTV in Europe and Australia (installed in the Prado and Hilux) has 173 hp and 410 Nm of torque as compared to the 163 hp and 343 Nm of torque here in ASEAN and Latin America.. the 2KD-FTV in Europe (engine of the Hilux and Hiace) has 120 hp and 325 Nm of torque, compared with the ASEAN and Latin America's very low 102 hp and 260 Nm of torque.
    the europeans have great diesel engines, at the same time they have very good diesel fuel, that is why in europe diesel is more expensive than gasoline because they have very strict standards for their diesel fuel...

our diesel fuel here is not very clean and not up the same standard as in europe so eventually it will have an effect on european diesel engines here. I hope that with more and more diesel vehicles being sold the big three would come up with a higher standard diesel fuel up to par with european standards. it may be more expensive but then diesel engines are more fuel efficient so it will compensate for that...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
CRDi Comparisons