New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Guys,

Any idea how can I possibly lower the fuel consumption of my '90 corolla gl? On the average nasa 6km/li lang eh. Kahit bagong tuneup, bagong oil filter, bagong air cleaner. Tried experimenting on using diff brands of gas pero walang significant effect. I also try as much as possible not to be heavy on the gas pedal. My friend recommended installing gas saver but I'm afraid na baka humina ang hatak. May pag-asa pa kaya to? Or talagang that's already the best I could get with an old car?

Thanks in advance.

Manley

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    check air-fuel mixture by adjusting some screws sa carb (a thread by wildthing showed how to DIY it. paki search na lang)

or as what i've heard from some, you can change the size of jet of the carb to smaller ones.

check ur suspension. align ur tires (camber and caster ata yun).

remove unecessary things inside the car which may add weight.

do not use aircon kung pwede.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    fortheboys96, thanks for the input. will check

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    marami talagang umaaray sa gas consumption ng GL.

here are some things that i discovered about this car.

1. just like most cars, it hates short trip, less than 5 kilometers. travelling at least 6kms per trip will yield better fc.

2. it hates traffic too.

3. i've had some success combining shell's unleaded and premium, you might want to try. usually loading up blaze, yields good fuel consumption too.

4. keep your fuel and air filter clean. replace you air filter every 2,500 kms and not every 5,000kms.

5. you can have your air/fuel mix adjusted, baka you are running rich. adjust it clockwise until the engine vibrates, yung parang mamatay, then adjust it back counting 3 turns. if in doubt, ipasalang mo sa emission test center, turn the air/fuel mix screw until mag okay sa reading.

5. keep your carb clean, spray with carb cleaner regularly like when you change air filter.

6. from time to time, go for a long drive up north, hanggang pampanga at least, para ma decarbonize, pag puro city driving, carbon tends to accumulate inside the engine.

7. kung wala pang leaks, try using a 10w40 viscosity oil.

i would advise against changing to smaller jets as it will affect performance, you will have idling problems and acceleration will be significantly weaker.
    Last edited by Asus700; November 25th, 2007 at 11:26 AM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    thanks asus700, medyo marami nga akong short trips then halos city driving lang ako. the farthest i went the past 3-4 months was sta rosa laguna from makati.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    what's your typical route ba? and time of the day na gamit ang oto?

Depende din kasi sa route at traffic yan eh...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Even my corolla GLi hates short trips in the city. I would get less mileage in short trips because the engine is still warming up and running slightly rich.

As for traffic, the "stop & go" is a real fuel mileage killer. If you can't find another route that has less traffic, you will just have to deal with it.

BTW, if your car has wide tires, this can actually lower your fuel mileage. Switching to narrower tires can result in better fuel efficiency. It's because wider tires increase the rolling friction between the wheel & the road.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    My typical route is manggahan floodway to libis or manggahan floodway to makati via C5. Medyo pinapalipas ko muna ng konti ang trapik before I hit the road. (self-employed kasi ako kaya there's a bit of flexibility sa time).

The tire I'm using right now is yung teardrop mags and I'm thinking of replacing it with the stock mags for 90 gl.

Thanks for the inputs...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    have the carb overhauled and rejetted siguro.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    thanks speedyfix... right after reading your reply to my post, i called up your shop and inquired kaya lang di pala daw kayo gumagawa nito (carb overhauling and rejetting). Can you possibly give me some recommendations kung saan pwede? Medyo mababa kasi ang confidence level ko dun sa mga shops where I had tune-ups before.

Thanks,

Manley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Corolla GL fuel consumption... pwede pa kayang mapababa?