New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    hi all,

my sister is now driving back to manila from baguio and when we she reached the NLEX, our 1994 esi AT civics (82k mileage) engine light stayed on. and then she noticed that even when she was maintaining a constant speed of say 60-70kph, the automatic gear shifting would shift by itself between 2 gears (eg 3rd-4th). and the all of a sudden even the speedometer stopped working.....

the recent history done on the car was:

- changed timing belt 3 months ago and had it re-tightened 1 week ago (non-original timing belt as parts).
    -changed leaking water pump 1 week ago
    -changed leaking plastic radiator top at denso 3 months ago
    - engine oil is ok

right now she is still on the NLEX on her way home but i texted her to pass by a gas station to check the transimission oil (last time i checked it was 5 months ago and it was ok pa). will post again if the car made it home (hope so)....

hope someone can give advice.....

thanks

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    usually sira yung speed sensor kaya ilaw yung engine light(like mine). pwede ring yung tranny me diperensya.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mahirap idiagnose ng tama. a mere low oil or faulty oil sensor in the engine can also trigger check engine light.

Highly recommended that lumabas na siya ng NLEX and have it checked muna...baka mas safe na sunduin nyo na siya instead.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    speed sensor yan most likely pero you better read the code before getting the part.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    thanks for the inputs guys!

what is really weird is that she was still able to drive home...and now....there is nothing wrong with the car...the engine light is no longer lighting up and the speedometer now works again....grrrrrrr, kakainis!

i would prefer that is was broken so i can bring it to a shop and show them the problem.....

do you think maybe the problem is caused by high speed driving? does overheating cause this?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
    thanks for the inputs guys!

what is really weird is that she was still able to drive home...and now....there is nothing wrong with the car...the engine light is no longer lighting up and the speedometer now works again....grrrrrrr, kakainis!

i would prefer that is was broken so i can bring it to a shop and show them the problem.....

do you think maybe the problem is caused by high speed driving? does overheating cause this?
    high speed driving doesn't have anything to do with a check engine light unless you cause something to leak (applicable only to some cars). Overheating doesn't usually cause a check engine light, it may, but not in a sudden... just check the sensors, or rather replace them already...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    keep observing it... problems don't normally correct themselves.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Time will tell.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ronald_m View Post
    Time will tell.
    :dito: Yes... better to have that car checked kahit sabihin mo lang ung nangyari sa mechanic. Doesn't hurt to ask for their opinion naman eh.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Thanks again for the replies guys,

any idea on how much these speed sensors are? (rough estimate) and which stores i can buy them from?

then i will take it to a car shop for them to replace it.. since i dont know how to do these things myself...hehe

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Civic engine light stays on! - help