New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I've been using an old '95 Lancer GLXi (itlog) from my dad's office for the past few days, and I've been bothered by the fact that the check engine light keeps turning on.

Upon closer observation, it happens whenever I go past ~70 kph, no matter how low I keep my revs (i.e. 5th at 1.8k rpm).

The light only vanishes when I turn the engine off. Even after starting the engine again, the light doesn't turn on, at least until I hit 70 kph again.

I've had my engine fluids checked (oil, brake, power steering, etc) and all where within normal levels. Temps were fine too.

I plan to have the car checked soon, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of seasoned troubleshooters on this case, just so I know what to expect when I send it over for repairs. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Itlog has a very minimal number of sensors. Ang most likely CEL culprit is a loose MAF sensor plug pero weird kasi speed-based. The speedo is a simple cable affair.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I've been using an old '95 Lancer GLXi (itlog) from my dad's office for the past few days, and I've been bothered by the fact that the check engine light keeps turning on.

Upon closer observation, it happens whenever I go past ~70 kph, no matter how low I keep my revs (i.e. 5th at 1.8k rpm).

The light only vanishes when I turn the engine off. Even after starting the engine again, the light doesn't turn on, at least until I hit 70 kph again.

I've had my engine fluids checked (oil, brake, power steering, etc) and all where within normal levels. Temps were fine too.

I plan to have the car checked soon, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of seasoned troubleshooters on this case, just so I know what to expect when I send it over for repairs. Thanks!

Maybe it has to do with the air-fuel mixture? ... a clogged fuel filter or clogged fuel line can result in leaning out the fuel mixture in to the cylinders.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A resident gearhead who owned two CBs (both turbo) said there's a sensor in the gauge assembly that sends a speed signal to the ECU. You might want to start there.

The crank angle sensor can also trip a CEL but it looks like it's not related.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Maybe it has to do with the air-fuel mixture? ... a clogged fuel filter or clogged fuel line can result in leaning out the fuel mixture in to the cylinders.
    Dirty MAF/throttle body?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the advice guys. Might be a simple case of a dirty filter or sensor, I'd look into that

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    most probably the filter. why not simply have it scanned?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Our employee's Accent CRDi CEL also turned on once because of clogged and very dirty filter.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    The most common sensor to light up the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) aka "CHECK ENG" is the mass airflow (MAF) sensor. Try cleaning its probe first with electronic contact cleaner as well as its connection. If after cleaning and the MIL still lights up, have your car undergo an engine scan to pinpoint which sensor is at fault (eg, oxygen sensor, TPS, CTS, EGR, etc)...

"Check Engine" Light Turns On When Driving Past 70