New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Hello;

My sentra B12 SGX, carb GA16 engine (12V/5speed manual) is about to be finally retired. Its now down by 40% performance since piston (ring) no.1 has finally started losing power. This is my ninth car, and my first ever NISSAN. Mga previous cars ko were all MITSU or TOYOTA, but I would say the SENTRA SGX is a good value for a 2nd hand. With power steering, power windows, power side windows features, and reasonable fuel consumption for a 1600cc (11kms. per liter), acceptable na porma, this car beats out most 2nd hand TOYOTA and MITSU in its class, as far as 2nd hand pricing is concerned. Yun nga lang, TOYOTA and MITSU seem to hold a better resale value, I wonder why? The car is now running about 7kms per liter, since its a bit palyado already. My mechanic has done its best to have the car running until I will be able to decide what options I will be taking.

Option no. 1 / Have the rings replace with new sets, price P1,600.00 / replace valve seals P640.00 / cylinder head gasket P900.00 / valve lappings P1,500.00 by the machine shop / plus labor P4,000.00 / total 9,000.00 to 10,000.00 estimated only.

Option no. 2 / Change engine to TOYOTA 4EFE carb complete with 5speed tranny, price P22,000.00, mounting labor plus new supports, estimated cost P8,000.00, estimated total 28,000 to 32,000.00. With this option, shop will be cutting the TOYOTA axle and the existing NISSAN axle and have them welded together para wala ng change ng front wheel assembly.

Option no. 3 / Get an entire new/surplus GA16 b12, and possibly other engine types like a silvertop, etc.

But of course, i'm thinking of option no. 1 since its the most practical, cost saving, less complex, and shorter downtime.

Ano ang mga advise from the experts. Thanks in advance!

Merry Christmas 2010 and safe driving!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    #1......

Change engine opinions