New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

i have an 8 year old distributor. i am experiencing spark plug fouling. i have hard starting whenever the engine is cool, regardless of the time (day or night), but worst in the cold morning.

after the cracnk, the engine seems to be coughing. i have to pump the gas pedal several times up to WOT. although i am using a carb engine, the accelerator pump is working perfectly well. gas delivery is very sufficient. i have the right a/f mixture.

i took the plugs and i saw that the ground strap is coated in black. the ring is black too, with some traces of oil i think.

i changed by plugs this after, and i will still see what's going on.

the manual of the car suggests to use denso w16ep-u. but due to inavailability, i used denso k20pr-u11. the only noticeable thing here besides the hex size, is the heat range.

the manual suggest to use a heat range of 16, but i plugged in a 20 (from denso).

what else do i need to look at here?

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Can distributor cause fouling S.P.......yes.

Many factor's can contribute spark plug fouling. Yong air/fuel ratio maaring too rich dahil sa maling adjustment sa carburador. Sirang piston ring o kaya valve seal may allow too much oil leaking sa combustion chamber at yan ang isa sa dahilan ng oil fouling sa spark plug. Yong ignition system too may not performing properly, prolonged idling or continues low speed driving may keep the spark plug from reaching the optimum operating temperature. Using too cold na spark plug nakaka foul din yan at ang maruming air cleaner can create too-rich condition which can lead to fouling.

Ang fuel, oil at carbon fouling ay resulta yan ng maraming dahilan, kapag na fouled up na spark plug hindi na magbibgay yan ng magandang voltahe sa spark plug tip at yong cylinder ng kotse ay hindi magpa-fire ng maayos kaya pupugak-pugak o kaya nasisinok din namamatay. Kaya pag fouled up na ang spark plug pinapalitan na yan pero make sure to check all the probable cause (see above) bago magpalit ng SP kasi sayang lang.

Mukhang marami kang problema sa sasakyan ha bro?

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    di naman marami, just preventing more possisble problems to come. this car is already 8 years. medyo tanggap ko narin na marami na itong problem. to prevent other more problematic situations, e inuunti unti ko na.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    di naman marami, just preventing more possisble problems to come. this car is already 8 years. medyo tanggap ko narin na marami na itong problem. to prevent other more problematic situations, e inuunti unti ko na.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    if the car is starting then i think that the distributor is fine. if lagi nagfo foul yung plugs it's probably the carb at fault.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    hi,

i have an 8 year old distributor. i am experiencing spark plug fouling. i have hard starting whenever the engine is cool, regardless of the time (day or night), but worst in the cold morning.

after the cracnk, the engine seems to be coughing. i have to pump the gas pedal several times up to WOT. although i am using a carb engine, the accelerator pump is working perfectly well. gas delivery is very sufficient. i have the right a/f mixture.

i took the plugs and i saw that the ground strap is coated in black. the ring is black too, with some traces of oil i think.

i changed by plugs this after, and i will still see what's going on.

the manual of the car suggests to use denso w16ep-u. but due to inavailability, i used denso k20pr-u11. the only noticeable thing here besides the hex size, is the heat range.

the manual suggest to use a heat range of 16, but i plugged in a 20 (from denso).

what else do i need to look at here?

yes puedeng distributor yun kung naka cdi yung auto mo palitan mo na lang bagong assembly, bro try mo kunin spark plug mo then lagyan mo ng ibang spark plug na kahit luma basta matakpan lang yung butas ng pinagkunan mo ng spark plug tapos yung spark plug na nakuha mo lagay mo sa high tension wires at e-body ground mo cia sa engine ask somebody to crank your engine try to see the electrode of spark plug kung anung kulay ng spark ang genegenerate nia if color blue ok yung distributor mo if white or reddish medyo palitan mo yung coil sa loob ng disributor mo if naka cdi or d kaya assembly na lang bilhin mo, kung minsan yan medyo palyado makina mo. base on my own experience, bago overhaul lahat bago, bearing, bago valves, piston rings pero ganun pa rin parang palyado. yung main problem pala ung distributor mahina mag generate ng kuryente sa electrode ng spark plug.
    p.s. kung magtetesting ingatz lang baka makuryente kahit maliit na current meron ito

can a distributor cause spark plug fouling?