New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2013
    I have a 3rd gen '82 camaro, currently undergoing body repair. I want to replace the engine (v6) with a strong enough diesel engine to power the heavy body.

Any suggestion for the engine?

It's more of a restoration project for me since it was left in the garage since 2011. Body repairs. engine replacement. interiors. painting. Advise and tips from you guys would be highly appreciated.

teehee

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If you can find an American diesel V8...

Inspiration:

Corvette V8 diesel conversion - 40 mpg (US) avg. - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

(6.5 liter diesel Corvette)

It's a Camaro... anything will fit. You can go for a 3.2 liter Isuzu engine, a Nissan RD (straight six) engine or even a Landcruiser diesel V8. Whatever fits your budget.
    Last edited by niky; May 29th, 2013 at 06:12 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2013
    if petrol isn't that cheap and we have enough roads to enjoy, why not go for a v8?

in my case, any diesel engine that can give enough boost the car is okay. i'm just not familiar with the different engines available.
    one friend of mine suggested rf7 or any mazda diesel engine. what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If you can find an American diesel V8...

Inspiration:

Corvette V8 diesel conversion - 40 mpg (US) avg. - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

(6.5 liter diesel Corvette)

It's a Camaro... anything will fit. You can go for a 3.2 liter Isuzu engine, a Nissan RD (straight six) engine or even a Landcruiser diesel V8. Whatever fits your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by kuyage View Post
    in my case, any diesel engine that can give enough boost the car is okay. i'm just not familiar with the different engines available.
    one friend of mine suggested rf7 or any mazda diesel engine.
    Mazda RF7? Isn't it the same as the Kia J2? If so, it would move it like a 4-pot Iron Duke (which was the only 4-cylinder every offered as an option for the 3rd-gen Camaro).

I'd also consider an Isuzu 4BC2 or a 4HF1. Or if you don't mind messing with electronics why not a Cummins ISF3.8 out of a Foton Aumark?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    go to Thunder. ask if you can order an original camaro engine.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    I would stick to the original engine if it's still ok. value wise it's better if the VIN and the engine number matches. also if it's the same color as the VIN indicated.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    go for kia JT. it's the heart of kia bongo, powerful with 3.0 dis. you have to source it out from korean surplus dealers. it's cheaper than the isuzu 4bc2 or 4fh1. you won't regret its power and efficiency.

Which transmission does it have?

Quote Originally Posted by shelu View Post
    go for kia JT. it's the heart of kia bongo, powerful with 3.0 dis.
    Could also use the 5-speed transmission out of the Bongo.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Why would you want to install a diesel in a camaro?
    The v6 can make a lot of power with a few mods from Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop or jegs

10. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    kung 6vd1 kaya mga sir kaso gas un

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Camaro '82 engine replacement suggestion