New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    dapat ba talaga lagyan ng shellac yung steel CH gasket? newly resurfaced kasi yung CH ko pero yun daw ang ginawa ng mech. sa pagbrowse ko kasi dito sa tsikot, nkita ko na dapat walang RTV kasi yun ang nagiging cause ng overheat kapag lumutong.

kindly enlighten me about this. maraming salamat

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    kung doubtful ka sa quality ng trabaho pwede ipa computerized cooling systems analysis ang oto mo . no guessing ang procedure na eto ,very accurate .

the question is meron kaya knowledgeable na shop dyan na pwede magperform ng ganitong diagnosis

3. Join Date
    May 2009
    as per my experience and as per my own knowledge,

for a bimetal engine (cast iron block + aluminum cyl head), the alum cyl head expands and contracts more than the cast iron block.

since yun nga, expand and contract and so on naapektuhan ang clamping force ng bolt (lalo na kung yung reusable bolts i.e. hex bolts).

the torque-to-yield (i.e. 12-point bolts) bolts do not require retightening because they have the same clamping force at all temperatures therefore mas reliable.

RTV is not recommended for head gaskets. masyado malambot ito. it is usually used to absorb and contain oil-based fluids. not for compression purposes.

tingin ko sa shellac hindi sumasabay sa thermal cycling ng aluminum cyl head yung HG na may shellac as compared to a HG w/o shellac kasi napakatigas yung shellac eh. just do a wide reading sa internet, marami ka makukuha.

just my info on this.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    will retorque solve may pressure-build and bubbling issue?

no white smoke naman at no oil contamination as i've observed...

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikoyreales View Post
    will retorque solve may pressure-build and bubbling issue?

no white smoke naman at no oil contamination as i've observed...

masalimuot talaga ang troubleshooting....its like "shoot now, ask later"

it may solve the pressure buildup/bubbling....try retorque after 500 - 1,000 km.

if it will not solve the issue, baka matindi na warpage ng head or block or both at hindi na siguro chineck ng mekaniko...baka deretsahang replacement of part na lang ginawa without checking warpage....or worst case scenario, cracked ang head. wag naman sana.

just finished the disassembly, part cleaning and inspection....i used a straightedge and feeler gage to check warpage...salamat sa diyos at mas mababa ang nakita ko na warp kesa sa standard value...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    me crack ang cylinder head....

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    o di kaya yung fan motor nya kailangan na papalitan.

nasabi na pala ni brotrekker13...

sorry...

+1 na lang ako....
    Last edited by desert fox; December 1st, 2010 at 11:08 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    o di kaya sa silicone gasket na ginamit ng mekaniko...di lahat ng silicone gasket pwede sa Cylinder head....

nakupo baka backjob ito...

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    Mine had bubbling and pressure build-up when cold issues....

kapapalit ko lang ng HG the other day on my 4D56B turbo engine with the federal mogul brand.

so far it runs fine as of today. no bubbling and pressure build up when cold...

i followed the instructions provided by mechanics here in tsikot plus the instructions on the manual plus advice/tips from my mechanics-friends.

i torqued to 3 stages (4-8-12 kgm) with 10 minutes settling time between the 2nd and 3rd stages....ang hirap pala magbasa ng manual torque wrench while torquing the bolts lalo na sa 3rd stage...how i wish na may automatic torque wrench ako na ginamit..napakamahal kasi nun

di na rin ako naglagay ng shellac sa HG...just the gasket alone.

once kasi na nagoverheat ang aluminum cylinder heads eh hindi na yan titino unlike cast iron heads...aluminums loose their original strengths drastically after 1 overheating only

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Bro the fact that you are having some problems makes me think that the job might not have been done properly. Maybe it's better to get a second opinion now from a shop with the proper test equipment to diagnose a problem or certify that the engine is ok.

Last week we just did a valve job for a 1999 CRV that suffered a broken timing belt. In the process the Cylinder Head gasket was replaced too. No shellac or nothing to be placed , just the OEM gasket itself. None the less one has to have the proper torque data, steps and sequences to properly install the CH.
    In this particular engine we cannot afford to do a re torque because we need to dismantle the timing belt and cams again in order to access the cylinder head bolts. It should be done right the first time or we're in trouble.

It's very important to get this part right for any engine or else the symptoms you mention can start popping out. I hope the bubbles in your radiator are just trapped air. If it's combustion gas then something is definitely wrong and the overheating you mention does not make me comfortable.

This is a tool that can used to verify if the escaping gas is indeed combustion gas.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NPDL76/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: UVIEW 560000 Combustion Leak Tester: Automotive[/ame]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Bubbles in radiator even after top overhaul..gurus help!