New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    good day, guys. The Glow plug tip of my hilux LN106 was broken and stuck in the combustion chamber of the cylinder head. I don't like the idea of removing the cylinder head just for that little part to be removed as it involves disturbing too many parts. I checked in the internet and found the "glow plug removal tool" but unfortunately no one is selling in sulit (OLX). Any suggestions, guys?

TIA

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Double post
    Last edited by yebo; November 30th, 2014 at 10:32 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    good day, guys. The Glow plug tip of my hilux LN106 was broken and stuck in the combustion chamber of the cylinder head. I don't like the idea of removing the cylinder head just for that little part to be removed as it involves disturbing too many parts. I checked in the internet and found the "glow plug removal tool" but unfortunately no one is selling in sulit (OLX). Any suggestions, guys?

TIA
    Try to catch it with a length of wire inserted through the glow plug or injector port with something sticky at the other end, like chewing gum, glue or double sided tape. Or a small tube connected to a vacuum cleaner suction.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    if the glow plug remnant fell in the combustion chamber and is of ferrous type metal, try using a telescoping magnet pick up tool through the injector opening.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    the problem is that the broken tip (which is more than 1 inch) is still stuck in the glow plug hole. It does not even budge. The other 3 glow plugs are also seized up. There seems to be no choice but to dismantle the cylinder head....

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Screw extractor.

See here: Screw extractor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most hardware stores sell a set.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Unscrew the main body of the glow plug as much as you can and run the engine but prepare a piece of 1/2 plywood the catch the tip when it gets ejected by the compression. Be extra cautious, the tip can projectile violently

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    done that too. nada. hehe

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Screw extractor.

See here: Screw extractor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most hardware stores sell a set.
    hey, nice! I'm from the city of pines, and hopefully some hardwares here sell that too. This is one option, like the glow plug tip removal kit. The broken tip has a dm approximately 4mm. I wonder if they have a size for it? tnx

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Try placing the engine in rocking position (all four Pistons level and halfway) and either drill the tip or push it down using a pin punch slightly smaller in diameter than the tip. Use light taps until it gets dislodged and falls into the combustion chamber. Modify a vacuum cleaner flexible tip to go into the injector hole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast