Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    Wow! Fortuner's engine tuning is tame
    It's the boosting perhaps.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    so if the everest is already vgt, then does that mean the koreans are better than the amreicans since their non-vgt diesels (the old grx crdi) does not smoke when you floor the pedal? also their vgt- diesels (gen 2 sta fe) also don't smoke no matter how aggressive you drive. hmmm...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Accent smokes just a tiny bit at times at 2-2.5K RPM. I think it's pretty normal.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Smoke will happen due to transient rich conditions caused when you suddenly ask the engine for more power. It happens a bit wi Hyundais, it happens quite a bit with Mitsubishis, it happens with BMW's 250-300 hp 3.0 diesels.

It's nothing to worry about if it's just a short puff.

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    so if the everest is already vgt, then does that mean the koreans are better than the amreicans since their non-vgt diesels (the old grx crdi) does not smoke when you floor the pedal? also their vgt- diesels (gen 2 sta fe) also don't smoke no matter how aggressive you drive. hmmm...
    It depends on the application and to what the engine is designed for.

Regarding Everests being smokey in sudden-WOT application, i assume that it's fuel governor and AFR is tuned richer in that kind of scenario. It injects more fuel to the combustion chamber as you floor the accelerator. That sudden change in AFR only last for milliseconds until the engine could cope up with what had just happen. Also, this is also to help cool the engine in that sudden engine acceleration.

This is a normal tuning norm in engines. If you happen to see some highly modified tuner cars, you'll notice that they smoke a bit in sudden-WOT more usual in a turbocharged engine.

I guess the Koreans tuned their engines more differently. Though i see few 2nd gen non-ReVGT SF's smoking just a tiny bit when accelerating. Though i have yet to see both to smoke a lot even in normal driving. The most common smokers i see are Toyota D4D's, Isuzu Ddi's and Mitsu DiD's.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    maybe, maybe not. but hey, look at the germans (bmw, mbs etc) diesel engines

currently Alterras are the only vehicles in its class not equipped with VGT. (correct me if im wrong)

i own an Everest too like the OP, and im very happy with it. Smokes too when i floor it. But ive seen others (monteros )do worse.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroFD View Post
    In general, diesels produce dirtier emissions than gasoline. You can only minimize the smoke by using premium diesels from reliable stations. I have a similar observation with my Monty; but the smoke comes out during sudden acceleration.
    A well maintained diesel engine actually produces less carbon dioxide than a gas engine.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Smoke is not carbon dioxide. Smoke is carbon... Period. Otherwise known as soot.

Carbon dioxide emissions only tell you how much fuel the engine is burning... In other words, it's a factor of fuel efficiency. Diesels are generally more fuel efficient, but they produce more particulate emissions than gasoline engines... And more carcinogenic emissions than gasoline engines.

So to say they pollute less because they emit less CO2 is kind of misleading. Only rabidly green washed governments consider CO2 a pollutant. They class it as such in order to tax buyers on fuel economy when they should simply just tax fuel to more effectively reduce CO2 emissions. But that's another matter entirely.
    Last edited by niky; August 3rd, 2012 at 03:50 AM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    It depends on the application and to what the engine is designed for.

Regarding Everests being smokey in sudden-WOT application, i assume that it's fuel governor and AFR is tuned richer in that kind of scenario. It injects more fuel to the combustion chamber as you floor the accelerator. That sudden change in AFR only last for milliseconds until the engine could cope up with what had just happen. Also, this is also to help cool the engine in that sudden engine acceleration.

This is a normal tuning norm in engines. If you happen to see some highly modified tuner cars, you'll notice that they smoke a bit in sudden-WOT more usual in a turbocharged engine.

I guess the Koreans tuned their engines more differently. Though i see few 2nd gen non-ReVGT SF's smoking just a tiny bit when accelerating. Though i have yet to see both to smoke a lot even in normal driving. The most common smokers i see are Toyota D4D's, Isuzu Ddi's and Mitsu DiD's.
    I cannot recall seeing Everests that are emitting black smoke. Brand new crosswinds, yes. Isuzu alterras, barely. Quite a number of D4Ds, but I was surprised to see at least 2 BNew Montys (No plate yet and one with a V badge), Smoking worse than a crosswind.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    My Everest wasnt smoking on its first year despite being regularly maintained, but after that... still ive seen monteros do worse

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Black smoke from brand new turbo diesel car