New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    iqaruzz, the reasons you stated for the percieved increase of displacement of the rotary engine is wrong. it's not because the engine has 2 rotors (which it does), but rather because it normally requires 2 rotations of the rotor for it to be considered as one combustion stroke.

so normally it's about 600+cc per rotor x 2 rotors x 2 rotations
    or in the cosmo 3 rotor engine it is 3 rotors x 2 rotations.

you come up with close to the approx equivalent piston engined displacement but use the wrong formula.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix
    iqaruzz, the reasons you stated for the percieved increase of displacement of the rotary engine is wrong. it's not because the engine has 2 rotors (which it does), but rather because it normally requires 2 rotations of the rotor for it to be considered as one combustion stroke.

so normally it's about 600+cc per rotor x 2 rotors x 2 rotations
    or in the cosmo 3 rotor engine it is 3 rotors x 2 rotations.

you come up with close to the approx equivalent piston engined displacement but use the wrong formula.
    Yes, you are quite right. Just simplifiying in to lamers term.
    Formula I've given actually lacks of details. ("brief summary to cc ratings")
    What I understand about this is, each face of the rotor is 650 cc and there are three face, two rotor. It takes 3 eccentric shaft rotation cycle to complete one engine cycle. Weird in a way its like a 3 stroke engine.
    So in one engine cycle it actually did 3.9 Litres.

Hmmm, if you have a total of 2 rotations of the eccentric shaft in comparison to 2 rotations of the crankshaft in 4-stroker. The 13B would be actually 2.6 litres.
    Reason I did this way is I have previously explained it to few people who hasnt worked/seen rotary engine. And actually took me few hours trying to explain it. My bad!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    don't worry about it you should always bring a diagram of the engine para maexplain mo sa di pa nakakakita. hehe!

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    the rx-8 renesis engine requires a full synthetic oil change every 1000-2000 miles!!!

that's because the apex seals are made of some soft metal. if you don't do the recommended oil change interval, they will wear out very fast.

that's what makes the routine maintenance so expensive, imagine full-synthetic oil change every 3000km.
    You are totally off here. For RX-8 Renesis engine, it is recommended that you use mineral based engine oil, not fully synthetic. I am currently using Quakerstate 5W-30 (found it at True Value). As for the interval, I am planning to change it every 5,000 kms. As for any mechanics in the Philippines, I am still looking for one.

Regards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
anyone has experience with rotary engines?