New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I recently bought a 2nd hand 2003 Adventure GLS Sport m/t diesel. I've monitored the fuel consumption since i got it... and it's registering 7-8 km/liter for city and 8-9 for long drives. I know it's relatively low based on some discussions here. I would appreciate your insights on what could probably be causing it. I had the valves clearance adjusted, had new air filters, and changed the oil as well. I observed also na medyo mausok (black smoke) during morning, though some say normal lang daw due to moisture. Is there any correlation between the smoke and the performance of the engine? By the way engine mileage have reached 100,000 km already. I also happen to be in Baguio, where engines are usually put to test on uphill climbs.

How could i improve the performance of the 4d56 engine? thanks in advance for your insights mga sirs.

P.S. I'm also looking for an owner's manual for 2003 adventure, hope meron softcopy somewhere. TY po ng marami.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I observed also na medyo mausok (black smoke) during morning, though some say normal lang daw due to moisture
    whitish po ang smoke pag early morning and moisture related. Baka po isa yan sa dahilan kung bakit medyo malakas ang fuel consumption mo.

Besides, medyo high mileage na din pala ang ride mo avg 20Tkm a year halos, baka kailangan na nga po ma check kung up to specs pa ang IP, injectors etc etc.

Lastly dont expect na same ang maging FC mo compared sa mga taga MM kasi iba air density diyan sa inyo. mas malakas ng kaunti ang magiging FC mo compared sa kanila.

HTH

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    bro, can you please clarify your city driving & hiway driving. kc if ur referring to baguio as ur city driving, then tama lang consumption mo. now kung yung hiway driving mo naman refers to mac arthuron a day time, pwede na yan kc halos stop & go rin dyan. sa dami ng motor, tricycle & kuliglig halos panay ang bwelo pag overtake. try measuring it sa sctex-nlex then it should give you a much better FC.

As said many times, FC is very dependent to so many conditions. check out first the basics before you remeasure ur FC.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    hala, bakit 7kms/L lang?? kami before i general overhaul adventure 4d56 namin(11 year old, 324,000 kms.) ay ang worst namin (december manila, quiapo, divisoria traffic) ay 9.9km/liter and the best was 14 km/liter.. hindi ko pa nare record FC ngayon kasi break-in period pa lang. after 1000 ng change oil at tune-up ire record ko na.

BEFORE I OVERHAUL eto recording ko.....
    normal driving (max60-80kph) nasa 11-12kms/liter
    hiway, long trip(max 100-130kph) nasa 12-14kms/liter

AFTER BREAK-IN period.... baka mas tumaas pa....

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by emarqz View Post
    I recently bought a 2nd hand 2003 Adventure GLS Sport m/t diesel. I've monitored the fuel consumption since i got it... and it's registering 7-8 km/liter for city and 8-9 for long drives. I know it's relatively low based on some discussions here. I would appreciate your insights on what could probably be causing it. I had the valves clearance adjusted, had new air filters, and changed the oil as well. I observed also na medyo mausok (black smoke) during morning, though some say normal lang daw due to moisture. Is there any correlation between the smoke and the performance of the engine? By the way engine mileage have reached 100,000 km already. I also happen to be in Baguio, where engines are usually put to test on uphill climbs.

How could i improve the performance of the 4d56 engine? thanks in advance for your insights mga sirs.

P.S. I'm also looking for an owner's manual for 2003 adventure, hope meron softcopy somewhere. TY po ng marami.

Try to check the condition of your transmission. Your poor fuel consumption might be traced to a clutch sliding problem, also monitor the weight you carry inside your adventure, heavier weight plus high altitude climbing like Baguio City could add to the poor fuel consumption.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Try these first.

1) Check injection pump to engine timing.

2) Replace air filter with an original Mitsubishi filter.

Adventure Fuel Consumption