New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I recently had headworks on my 96 Accord VTEC 2.2L after its balancer belt snapped causing the timing belt to jump gears and bend all valves. Changed both belts including tensioner bearings. Now the engine whines. My mechanic says its a scratched balancer bearings not seated properly. Eventually, he said the whinning will go when the bearings sit properly after 2-3 weeks use. But he says my alternative would be to remove the balancer belt altogether since it is important only at high RPM or take down the engine and change the bearings. Does the balance shaft only for reduction of vibrations? Would it be safe to disable it altogether? Please I need your advise. Thanks

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    The balancer shafts are the internal engine equivalents of an external harmonic balancer that is used on the crankshaft of most domestic engines. Honda uses 2 balancer shafts (front and rear) on the 4 cylinder accord engine, like yours.

The balancer shafts dampen engine vibrations due to the recipricating motions of the piston and crankshaft by keeping the engine "in balance". it does this by creating an equal and opposite force to counter-balance the recipricating motion of the crankshaft. The result is a smoother idle and less vibration transmitted to the interior of the car.

The shafts have to be aligned when the balancer belt is changed, kaya sabihin mo sa mechanico mo tungkol sa bagay na to. The front balancer shaft is aligned to the oil pump housing and the rear shaft to the engine block markings. if the shafts are not aligned they will not be in sync with the crankshaft motion. They won't go out of sync if you change that belt first without disturbing the engine position by rotating the crankshaft with the belt off.

There are several manufacturers that use balancer shafts under different names. Mitsubishi's is called a "silent shaft". The balancer shafts are more popular on imports than on domestic cars.

Kaya never na tatanggalin mo ang Harmonic Balancer kung ayaw mong sumayaw ng cha cha ang saksakyan mo.
    Hope that answers your question

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ngayon lang ako nakarinig ng scratched balancer bearings .

pero bago ko husgahan ang ano pa man , double check ko muna ang ginawa ko . baka timing belt tension lang yan ( over tightened)

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    yeah it may be overtightened lang. have him check it baka mali kabit.

Accord Balance Shaft