New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Halu fellow tsikoteers! Hope you can help out with my problem, badly need your inputs. I have a 94 Honda ESI and recently had overheating problems. Previous to this, I had the cylinder head gasket replaced ( about 3-4 months back). Since I seldom use the car on long trips, I haven't had the chance to really observe how it performs after having it repaired. I noticed oil in the radiator so I sent it back to my mechanic. I had the bolts retightened. There was still high pressure when the radiator cap was opened when the engine is started. My mechanic now tells me that I have to have to have a leak test done on the cylinder block. I think that there is something wrong with the cylinder head so I asked around in Banawe. The price for a PH 16 head is 9000. installation and materials to get it going will run to about 16000.

A D15B engine costs 23000. If I trade the PH16 engine, a shop is willing to sell the D15B for 18000.

My questions are-1) which do you think will be a better option- replacing the head or doing an engine swap? I have no experience yet with swaps, 2)does anyone know how much more I will be spending for a swap-(electrical and mechanical)? 3)Will the D15B bolt on to my existing electrical connections, 4)what are the usual problems expected when the swap is done? 5)How can I be sure that the engine that I am buying is in good condition (Just by looking)when it can only be started when it is installed.

I hope you can help me out. Thanks in advance!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    considering you will still spend a lot on repairs, i would recommend a swap. minsan sa overhaul, hindi din maganda ang magiging gawa so you will not be satisfied with it, or you will still spend some more.

engine swap, siguro, including the engine + electricals + mechanicals will cost around 30k max.

not sure if the new engine can bolt on to your existing connections nor how to be sure if the engine that you are getting will be ok, but siguro, get the engine from reputable sellers.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Yup, ganun nga din iniisip ko. I talked to a mechanic buddy and one thing I failed to consider was the papers and the documentation for the swap. Sabi nya it will take 8 months to get papers for the new engine. Medyo matagal. Anyway bro, maraming salamat sa advice, appreciate it.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    try mo din tanong sa honda club bro. baka may makatulong sa iyo dun sa pag-hanap ng engine at maka-facilitate ng papers para sa planned swap mo. or maybe ma-recommend din sa iyo ang mga tao ng mga shops na magaling gumawa sa over haul

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    swap ka na lang. but make sure ok pa ipapalit mo.

agree, check HCP. may mga recommended shops sila na gumagawa nga ganyan...including paperworks.

good luck!

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    try forced speed or emperor... they have mechanics that specialize on engine swaps.

regarding the question on bolt patterns, opo, swak po yan... almost all honda engines are bolt ons so hindi ganon kahirap swap mapa d15b or b series engines.

good luck sir!

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    luckystyryx nakapagswap ka na?post mo naman kung magkano swap..ano engine ipapalit mo? ganyan din case nung sakin may pressure sa radiator pero naibyabyahe ko pa ng bicol manila..di ko lang pinapalampas sa 2000 yun rpm, pinapahinga ko nga lang at binubuksan radiator para mawala pressure

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by luckystryx View Post
    Halu fellow tsikoteers! Hope you can help out with my problem, badly need your inputs. I have a 94 Honda ESI and recently had overheating problems. Previous to this, I had the cylinder head gasket replaced ( about 3-4 months back). Since I seldom use the car on long trips, I haven't had the chance to really observe how it performs after having it repaired. I noticed oil in the radiator so I sent it back to my mechanic. I had the bolts retightened. There was still high pressure when the radiator cap was opened when the engine is started. My mechanic now tells me that I have to have to have a leak test done on the cylinder block. I think that there is something wrong with the cylinder head so I asked around in Banawe. The price for a PH 16 head is 9000. installation and materials to get it going will run to about 16000.

A D15B engine costs 23000. If I trade the PH16 engine, a shop is willing to sell the D15B for 18000.

My questions are-1) which do you think will be a better option- replacing the head or doing an engine swap? I have no experience yet with swaps, 2)does anyone know how much more I will be spending for a swap-(electrical and mechanical)? 3)Will the D15B bolt on to my existing electrical connections, 4)what are the usual problems expected when the swap is done? 5)How can I be sure that the engine that I am buying is in good condition (Just by looking)when it can only be started when it is installed.

I hope you can help me out. Thanks in advance!!

check mo HCP at mag-log dun.marami ka mapagtatanungan.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    if the person who overhauls it is good mas wala ka problems since bago lahat ilalagay. with the surplus engine everything is old parin and hindi mo rin alam history ng makina.

up to you to decide once you have weighed the pros and cons.

94 ESI engine swap or repair?? Pls. help!!